4GB Ram supported... or not!?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
sorry to start participating to this forum with a request for help.
This is what I have, according to Crucial detect tool:
MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB467LL/A Specifications

It's a Generation 6 unibody aluminum Macbook.
I bought it with 2 GB of RAM included. I wanted to expand it by bringing it to 4GB, meaning I had to remove both the original 1GB sodimms I had and to buy 2x2GB pieces.
I bought 2 of these:
PNY
They reflect the exact configuration requested on my macbook.

I know it's probably an unknown brand but after installing them I had them recognized and perfectly functioning. That's when problems started arising.
I suffered frequent kernel panics once the ram started filling up, so I tried to check the ram with numerous tests in memtest64+ and Apple hardware thorough test. (Un)expectedly they all went well with no issues or problems reported. I tried an empirical test by removing a dimm at a time and by trying them on both slots. Again... they worked perfectly with just 2GB installed, not causing any panic under heavy stress and load (thing which resulted in immediate crash with 4GB installed).
The funny thing is, when I start my mac on bootcamp (windows 7 x64) they work ok, even under heavy pressure and overheating: i.e. demanding videogames.
It's frustrating to have never had any BSOD on windows and numerous freezes on mac os!!!
By the way, I have 10.6.2. I bought the new ram recently so I've never tested it on different configurations.
I would like to know if this is a weird hardware failure or a software one, or a mix of both maybe. It surely is disappointing when you start experiencing an unstable mac! It used to be the apple of my eye ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
It must be some incompatibility with the RAM. I personally have never used PNY stuff, except for their thumb drives. Try switching it with another brand to see if the problem persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
I got mine from crucial.com. Never had a problem, even under extremely heavy loads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.