ps3 to imac27" HELP ME!

Reaction score
Can someone help me. I have a new IMAc 27" and was told I could rig up the PS£ to it by using a HDMI cable from the PS3 to a Minidisplay port to HDMI adaptor which goes in to the disply port at the back of the IMAC. Nothings happening and I would hope some one could tell me what to do next. Its my first IMAC only ever used windows.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no way currently to display your PS3 or any other HDMI out to the 27" iMac.

There is still no cable that will go from HDMI to mini displayport.
The port on the iMac is useless for connecting any HDMI devices until such a cable does exist.
The current mini displayport to HDMI cables will not work.

At least a couple of companies have announced plans for releasing one, but so far, no dice.
There is some expectation for possibly February.

Reaction score
Yes, alas as bobtomay says, nothing will work. The problem comes in the type of signal that is sent by the displayport vs. the hdmi/dvi/vga. I am purchasing a 27" today, and sad to find out this is the case. They have the cables (including hdmi to mini-displayport) but they won't pass the signal.

BTW Mods I nominate this for movement to the imac forum.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
I didn't know you couldn't connect a ps3 to imac, interesting

However i would like to add something to this post.

I have a macbook pro and i managed to wirelessly access my mac on my ps3

A great software called MediaLink works, you can access movies, photos, files..literally anything from your mac to your ps3

Another great advantage is that..when you copy things over to your ps3 , medialink automatically converts the file into a format the ps3 will read! i got alot of rmvb files and medialink converted these perfectly

So until the cable comes out, it's something you can give a shot at?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.