Adding a HP LaserJet 5P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I have a HP LaserJet 5P in excellent shape, owned it since new and I know it has low mileage. It doesn't have a USB connection so I bought a nice high-quality USB to Parallel cable and connected it. Nothing happened. So I'm wondering about whether the iMac has the smarts to recognize that there's a printer waiting to be used? I tried the Add Printer when I selected a page for printing but that doesn't work, and I can't seem to find a printer utility in the applications/utilities area either.

Is there some magic way to get the mac to recognize the printer? I am not concerned about print speed... I'd just like to use the LJ as opposed to my inkjet for B&W stuff.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The HP Laserjet 5P is a pretty old printer (I'm talking mid-90's vintage)...and as far as I know was not compatible with Macintosh computers even when it was new.

I have an HP Laserjet 5MP...the "M" standing for the Macintosh compatible model.

Maybe drivers have been released since the mid-90's to make a 5P compatible with Macs...but in any case...you're probably going to need more then the correct cable to get it to work with a Mac.

Just some random thoughts,

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a 20 year old Epson Laser printer that is like-new and I think is still on the original toner cartridge.

I thought about buying the parallel-USB adapter for $40 but found out I can get a new laser printer for $60 that prints 3 times faster and I think 3 times the dpi. I'm sure it takes up less space as well.

The 5p was/is indead a workhorse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.