G4 Hard Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Power Mac G4 tower (533 MHz) and can't seem to get the drive utility to recognize a Hitachi DeckStar 40G IDE drive as a slave.

I plugged in a 20G Fujuitsu and it showed up right away.

The Deck Star's have an option for 15 or 16 cylinders. Would that be an issue?

The Apple Drive Utility and Disk Warrior cannot see the drive at all and I've tried 3 drives which were know to have worked in a Windows machine.

Please help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Can you test the drive (bare) via an IDE-USB adaptor kit?

On checking the rear end of a bare 80 Gb Hitachi external I use for storage, I note the jumpers set to vertical on both Master (0) and Slave (1) on the two end pin sets (two middle sets not used). I did not put those jumpers there, the drive simply worked with its present arrangement. The drive came from a Win machine, and needed reformatting.

There is facility to arrange the jumpers horizontally, with descriptions I don't begin to understand.

OP
E
Reaction score
Further update. Took the drive that would not work and moved it to the other IDE buss (DVD Drive), and it was recognized right away.

Anyone had trouble with the Fujitsu (Apple OEM) drives not "liking" the other drives?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.