Grey Screen Restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
I had a very strange thing happen this morning that I've never seen before. I was on my macbook pro and suddenly the screen washed down from the top light grey and a pop up said something like "you need to restart your computer push and hold the power button to restart" or something like that in 4 or 5 different languages. Anybody know what that's all about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Sometimes something goes a little wonky during the startup process. Try doing what it says. Assuming you did that and it booted up like usual, you're fine. You might want to check with Onyx (Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX), but there shouldn't be any lasting damage. If it doesn't start back up, there's a couple of things it could be, but give those other things a try first.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To FiosFiend:

What you experienced was a "kernel panic", the OS X equivalent of a Windows BSOD. This can be caused by a hardware error or software. If it's a one time thing, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. But if it happens more often, you'll need to track down the cause.

In the meantime do what Corbab suggests. Download, install OnyX, and run it.

Regards.

OP
FiosFiend
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
Well it started back up just fine and has been working normally ever since. Just very strange, first time I've seen it but doesn't appear to be anything lasting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In case it returns, and sometimes kp's do, have a read of this link and suggestions to check it out:-

Resolving Kernel Panics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.