Hard Drive Issue

Reaction score
I have recently joined the mac revolution after many years of struggling away with windows.

I have an external hard drive which I used to use with my old PC. It has a number of music and video files on there which I'm keen to hold on to.

I also need an external hard drive to use with my mac, in particular to back up via Time Machine.

When I connect my hard drive to the mac, I can access my PC files but I cannot write to the hard drive because presumably it is in windows format. I also cannot partition it using the disk utility app for the same reason as it asks me to reformat my hard drive.

Is there any way I can partition the drive so I can have essentially two hard drives, one for my mac and the other so I can keep my PC files?

Obviously you can get cheap hard drives so if it involved paying out more money for a program then it would cost to buy a new dedicated mac hard drive then obviously there's not a great deal of point.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your external hard drive is very likely formatted to NTFS if your Mac can not write to it but is able to read from it.

You didn't mention which operating system your Mac is using or which Mac you have for that matter. (It always helps to mention those when posting.)

If your new Mac is using the Snow Leopard OS (OS X 10.6.2), it's possible to be able to read and write to a drive formatted to NTFS. However, the ability to write to NTFS is not turned on by default in Snow Leopard. You have to turn it on. Two ways to do that. One involves using Terminal, the other, downloading a free small program that turns it on for you. I suggest the latter.

The program is called "ntfsMounter" and can be downloaded for free from here.

As far as needing a drive for Time Machine backups, I believe you would be better off purchasing an external drive of whatever size you need, format it to HFS Extended Journaled (a must in order to use Time Machine) and use it just for backing up your internal hard drive.

Keep your old drive for storage use for the PC and your new Mac.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, that's half of the information requested. I might have been able to make a suggestion if you had supplied the other half.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.