iMac G5 PowerPC keeps shutting down, no reason!

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old iMac G5 (PowerPC). I have owned it since new. I own the white 20" model, with no iSight on the front. I have had the HD replaced due to a spill the iMac took a few years ago. Other than that, it has been good to me until now.

The iMac shuts down on me a few times a week. Everything is going fine and then, out of the blue, the opaque gray screen starts scrolling downwards and the opaque black box appears and says that it must shut down. I have restored the iMac to it's original factory settings, in hopes this would cure the problem. Everything was fine for a few days after the restore, then it happened again. Since that first episode after the restore, it continues to do it 2-3 times per week.

Any help? Has this happened to any of you? I look forward too your help and input.

Kindest regards,
Nuts4Mac

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What you're experiencing is known as a kernel panic. KPs happen for a variety of reasons, but many times they're related to faulty hardware.

Anything change recently hardware-wise? Any new memory, for example?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you can also try Apple Hardware Test from disc one of the original install discs, and boot from the install DVD and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility there and see what is reported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.