VNC sharing screen with a PC

Reaction score
I love the built in "share screen" feature! I'm able to remote now into all my computers running Ubuntu. This has really streamlined maintaining my systems.

I'd like to remote into my computers running Windows (XPSP2 & Vista). I've done a lot of reading, and installed different VNC apps on each, but can't see the computers in Finder.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have a good tutorial as to "HOW" to do this?

Thanks.

First post... hoping I didn't violate any rules.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe you're going to see them in Finder unless you turn on File Sharing and then Share the folder(s) you wish to see on your Win machines. I share the Users folder in my home network.

OP
J
Reaction score
File sharing isn't an issue. Just remoting into each computer... I can access the files just fine, but I'd like to be able to control the computer remotely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Microsoft do a Mac version of Remote Desktop that's built into many versions of Windows (Typical Pro, Business, Ultimate version rather than Home versions)

I use it all the time to access my Vista and Windows 7 machines.

However. There's no reason why VNC server/client combo shouldn't work for you. But they won't show in Finder as remote machines.

You just have a VNC server running on your windows machines and launch the VNC client app on your Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm currently using Chicken of the VNC on my Mac when I need screen sharing.

But you don't even need to use a VNC if all you want is for the Win machines to show up in Finder. Sharing is all it takes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.