Upgrading from osx 10.4.11 to osx leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
can i use my software that came with my imac 2009 24 inch & upgrade to leopard them to snow leopard,I want to put this software on my macbook,any
input would be much appreciated.

Kind regards:pharealmac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Fraid not - software that came with the iMac is machine specific - what u need for the MB is this;

Click for full size

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fraid not - software that came with the iMac is machine specific - what u need for the MB is this;

Click for full size

I thougt you could only upgrade to snow leopard from leopard,
I have a copy of snow leopard that came with my imac,so It will install
straight onto my macbook thats running osx 10.4.11

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I thougt you could only upgrade to snow leopard from leopard,
I have a copy of snow leopard that came with my imac,so It will install
straight onto my macbook thats running osx 10.4.11

To rephrase Collin:
No, you will not be able to use the disc that came with your iMac to install Snow Leopard on your MB. Those discs are system specific, will not install and the license only allows it to be installed on a single system.

You will need to purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard if you wish to upgrade your MB.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To rephrase Collin:
No, you will not be able to use the disc that came with your iMac to install Snow Leopard on your MB. Those discs are system specific, will not install and the license only allows it to be installed on a single system.

You will need to purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard if you wish to upgrade your MB.

Would you need the full version of snow leopard or would the upgrade be sufficient.

Reaction score
From a technology standpoint, the Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD works for upgrades or fresh installs. It works on any Intel based Apple system. There is no license checking built in. You can install or upgrade 1 machine or 100 or 1000.

From a legal and ethical standpoint - that's a different story.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bottom line, Apple has left it up to your conscience at this point.

Apple put out a disc at a drastically discounted price from what any other retail OS has ever been sold, for those that already have Leopard.

For those that are still using Tiger, they have put out a boxed set which basically has you purchasing iLife 09 and iWork 09 and getting Snow Leopard for free to bring all your basic apps up to date.

There is a hidden kext in Snow Leopard that is called "Don't Steal OS X".
My wager still stands that Apple is using this to determine whether they will need to implement some form of activation the way practically every other software developer does.

I would ask, do the right thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.