I need a better switch tutorial.

Reaction score
I've been a PC user for a long time and I'm very savvy with it. I've read switch 101 and most information in there are irrelevant to me. Lets suppose I'm using a Mac for the most boring work possible. I do not need any image editor, iTunes, multimedia, or any of those flashy stuff that are the cornerstone of Mac ads. The only reason I got a Mac is to develop applications for the iPhone. That means I need to know how to install applications like the iPhone SDK, how to use .tar.gz files (seriously, the **** file unzipped, but I have no idea where it went), the filing system (like how to access my hard drive and find that file I downloaded), etc.

Now, I like my stuff organized my way. I do not care if you have a default folder for all music or video files somewhere. I and only I decide where I want to put my files and how to organize them. (I'm a total control freak. On the PC, I hate that they created the My Document folder for those stupid noobs who have no idea where to put their files.)

Sorry if I sound frustrated. That's because I am. Why are those things that are supposed to be simple so complicated. You can probably guess that I do not buy into the Mac hype and I wouldn't use one if I didn't have to.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can control where you download files to under the Preferences after you open up the browser. It's almost the same for PC so I don't see why it would be difficult.

20100115-dmi9eg6td6yj8i8p7qe259x4y6.jpg

20100115-e9cjd5bkcruf9en2hs9tu8d7s2.jpg

It's the same for safari, more or less.

OP
T
Reaction score
My bad, I didn't download the file. It was on a CD. I just double clicked it and some sort of unzipping process started. After unzipping is complete, a window opened with the files unzipped. When I closed that window, I had no idea where those files are and couldn't get them back on screen unless I unzip the file in the CD again.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My bad, I didn't download the file. It was on a CD. I just double clicked it and some sort of unzipping process started. After unzipping is complete, a window opened with the files unzipped. When I closed that window, I had no idea where those files are and couldn't get them back on screen unless I unzip the file in the CD again.

When you have a CD or storage device, you need to select the files and drag them to the desktop.

Unzipping them from the CD or storage device doesn't give them a place and it has to make a temporary folder in most cases.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with CR. By default OSX usually unzips files to where the original Zip is located. On a CD it can't write to the CD. I would think the desktop in that case but rarely unzip from a CD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You are posting to what I believe to be the best switcher manual . if you want all the bells and whistles( which you dont) then read The Missing Manual but for what you want then the search feature here will answer most of your questions . For the rest just ask, these guys here have forgotten more about Mac's then most will ever know !

Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That means I need to know how to install applications like the iPhone SDK
You can get the iPhone SDK from the ADC website. You can get it for free here (note that you will need an ADC memebership which is also free).
how to use .tar.gz files (seriously, the **** file unzipped, but I have no idea where it went)
As has been mentioned here, files are decompressed (whether they be tarballs or zip files) to the directory in which they are stored. For instance, if you have a file on your desktop and you double click it, it get's decompressed to a folder on your desktop. If you have a Finder window open showing you where it is but you don't recognize the folder, you can either move it somewhere familiar or go to View > "Show Path Bar" to see the path to the file.
the filing system (like how to access my hard drive and find that file I downloaded), etc.
You can access files with Finder (face icon in two shades of blue) or by double clicking your HD on your desktop. Downloads by default download to the downloads folder in your user directory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.