Can't Transfer My Data from USB HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz Quad-CoreXeon, 8GBRAM, 2.6TBHDD, NvidiaGT120|2GhzCore2Duo, 2GBRAM, 160GBHDD, Nvidia9400M
It seems that without fail I cannot move large files from my Mac to a USB external HDD. It always works with FireWire. I have a file that's about 111 GB and I've tried zipping it and it's still not small enough. I'm not sure what I can do. I dont have a firewire drive anymore so USB is my only option. Is there anyway to circumvent the unexpected error that occurs when transferring such a large file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Seems u have 2 Macs so if it is to do a back up then use Firewire between Macs with one in Target mode and copy it that way.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is the HDD you are trying to move things to, by any chance formatted as FAT32?

They have a limit of 4GB. Therefore any files larger than 4GB will not be written to the device.

If this is true then you need to format that HDD as NTFS if you plan on using it on a Windows Machine.

If you are just using it for Macs then Mac Journaled HFS+ is fine.

Macs read NTFS but they can't write to them. They can using third party drivers/software.

Snow Leopard apparently has Native NTFS, however you have to enable it through terminal. If you are interested then I'm sure google has the answer out there somewhere.

In the mean time NTFS-3G hasn't failed me yet. An alternative to NTFS-3G, called NTFS Mounter. It only works on Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.