Time Capsule or Airport Extreme with HD

Reaction score
I have a linksys router with a ethernet HD that I am using for backup. My router has been giving me problems and the HD is not the easiest to keep working. I am thinking of getting either a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme with HD. I have read on some sites that the Time Capsules are only good for about 1-2 years. I know it will cost more to do the Airport Extreme then a Time Capsule but figure it maybe cheaper in the long run. I am looking for anyone that has either setup and what they think and if you have had both setups which would you prefer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In terms of ease of use and reduced clutter Time Capsule is good - i put mine up on furniture feet for better cooling and of course the Dual Antenna Model means 11g and 11n meaning catering for both Laptop and iphone <if u have one or plan on getting one>

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 160gig
I just wish I could use Time Machine with an external HDD usb'd to my airport extreme. I bought the AE because of the usb + HDD. Kinda backfired on me as of right now....

Although, the AE was so freakin easy to setup. Every wireless router that I have ever owned had to have some good time to make work properly. Not AE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Extreme has one USB socket and it is suggested by Apple it is for Printer or HD. But when it comes to speed of back ups in my experience Firewire is better on a Mac especially if you choose FW 800

I have read on some sites that the Time Capsules are only good for about 1-2 years.
One facet of Forums is that generally you only hear from folks who have problems not the many that don't. When was the last time you saw someone say - i have had my TC for 2 years and it has been great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 160gig
So are you saying that you can not use the AE with a usb HD. I thought you could?

Yes you can use and external HD, but you can only access it through the browser. Time machine will not work through a HD connected to the AE. I wanted to mount the drive to my laptop and then backup to it through the AE but you can't. Yeah it is slow to backup via through the network but I thought that backups with small changes were quicker.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Initial backup will take forever wirelessly whether over the Airport or Time Capsule. Most of the reports suggest it is best to make the initial backup via a wired connection. I believe it is possible with the Extreme to attach a hub to the USB port if need be.

USB will indeed be slower than Firewire but once the initial backup is complete that's not as noticeable as you would think. Remember Time Machine only writes new files into the backup for files created/modified in the previous hour. Unchanged files are written as hard links pointing back to the last time the file was modified.

Reaction score
I recommend using a NAS. Pros: almost any ext. HDD will do (see compatibility list of NAS) and you even can use it for other OS clients (i.e. linux or windows). TimeMachine works fine as well. You can run RAID x, change HDDs etc.

OP
O
Reaction score
I am running a NAS now but it is a little difficult to keep connected for some reason. Also I am not sure that it will us the full disk. I was able to get it to work by doing the disk utility trick and creating an image on my desktop and copying it to the NAS. When I created it there was only like 100GB of space left on my Mac, so I am not sure if it will just the 100GB or the full 300. I figured I could still use the NAS for the Windows machines and the Time Capsule for my Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

One facet of Forums is that generally you only hear from folks who have problems not the many that don't. When was the last time you saw someone say - i have had my TC for 2 years and it has been great.

Here's one.

I have had mine for two years. It has been flawless thus far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.