time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06Ghz intel dual core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive with 500GB backup drive
hey there sorry for another question, but i have a seagate 500 gig usb drive, i put all my pics/songs/documents on there from my pc to transfer to the mac. now i took all that stuff put it onto my HDD and now i wana run time machine bt time machine won't see the drive. it is looking for it wirelessly....what am i doing wrong? or what do i need to do to have it use that hard drive to backup? thanks guys. Kinda sucks when you don't know much about new systems lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Hmm. I use an external, USB-wired hard drive and it recognized it. Ok, try shutting down, plugging in the drive, then starting up again. Open the Time Machine dialog, click on choose drive, and see if it recognizes it then. It is designed to do that. If that does not work, I learned that I had to reformat the external in Mac format to make it recognize it. Try that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I learned that I had to reformat the external in Mac format to make it recognize it. Try that?

Hit the nail on the head....

To the OP: Do you know what your external is formatted to currently?
This is most-likely the problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06Ghz intel dual core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive with 500GB backup drive
it is a dual OS drive. can be read/write by either mac or pc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i will try shutting down and restarting the mac. if not i will go into disk utility to formatt it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes. If the drive needs to be formatted it can be done within Disk Utility. The drive has to be formatted HFS+ with journaling enabled.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i had to format the drive to use time machine. thanks for the help everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.