10.5 Leopard on White Unibody Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP, 2.53 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500 GB WD HDD
Hey everybody, has anyone tried to install (downgrade) from Snow Leopard to Leopard on the Unibody White Macbook?
My gf has bought one, and it lags every now and then! i did a fresh install and it does the same! (Same thing happened to my Unibody MBP, but I downgraded)

I tried to install Leopard on the White UMB, and after the install completed, Airport, the sound card didn't work and the brightness buttons didn't work!
After software update, Airport started to work, but no sound or brightness change!

So, if anyone has tried this, can the install be possible? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hey everybody, has anyone tried to install (downgrade) from Snow Leopard to Leopard on the Unibody White Macbook?
My gf has bought one, and it lags every now and then! i did a fresh install and it does the same! (Same thing happened to my Unibody MBP, but I downgraded)

I tried to install Leopard on the White UMB, and after the install completed, Airport, the sound card didn't work and the brightness buttons didn't work!
After software update, Airport started to work, but no sound or brightness change!

So, if anyone has tried this, can the install be possible? Thanks in advance!

If you zero (or even straight format) the drive then I would expect it to be fine. Did you do a Firmware update on the Macbook and not the Macbook pro? Not sure it would make any difference as i'm not up on my Firmware updates..

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I erased my hard drive! But being that the laptop came with snow leopard, I guess apple software update doesn't have drivers for 10.5...

I was really hoping to install leopard on that, because, for me Snow Leopard experience has sucked :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I was really hoping to install leopard on that, because, for me Snow Leopard experience has sucked :(

Why's that?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why's that?

well, everything lags now and then! when browsing and not touching the laptop for a couple of minutes, it just doesn't connect to the internet no more! when I try to click the airport icon on the status bar and check for internet, everything freezes and the spinning wheel just makes the computer unusable until the reboot! sometimes finder freezes by itself! i had a perfect leopard installation, until i upgraded to SL! At 1st, I thought that it was a problem of compatibility, because i upgraded as apple wanted! then i tried not one but 3 clean installs, but the results were the same!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have Boot Camp installed on it, by chance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I hate to state the obvious, but did you run disk utility permission repair, to see if anything was coming up?
Did you try a clean install, and then installing Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo). It's seems to have fixed things for majority of people having issues.
Also, 10.6.3 is on it's way out, where I'm sure the couple of glitches that a few people have had (such as transparent menu bar on startup) are being taken care of.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I did run disk utility permission repair! in fact, 10.6.2 made it much better for me, but it still lags in comparison to how 10.5.8 was handling! needless to say, I have to wait (let's hope) hopefully not long for 10.6.3, so let's hope everything goes well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6.2 update is different to to the 10.6.2 combo update.
Even though the combo is just that (combined updates), somehow it seems to fix glitches that the standalone updates don't always address. In my opinion it is due to the directory structure.
The 10.5.8 combo update had the same effect for many users that already had 10.5.8
As for 10.6.3, that should be here in the next couple of days or so.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
well, I did run disk utility permission repair! in fact, 10.6.2 made it much better for me, but it still lags in comparison to how 10.5.8 was handling! needless to say, I have to wait (let's hope) hopefully not long for 10.6.3, so let's hope everything goes well!

If you have Boot Camp installed, make sure you exclude your Boot Camp partition from Spotlight indexing. I had similar issues and doing that took care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.