Time capsule?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently switched from PC to Macbook pro and used to keep all of my files inc music, films etc on my external HD connected via cable.

Since using by Macbook I've realised that this is a massive inconvenience as I use this all around the house. I've considered buying a time capsule from Apple but am pretty skint at the moment.

Does anyone know if there is a wireless adapter to plug into an existing external HD to make it become wireless enabled?

If not someone should invent one pronto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
The time capsule backs up wirelessly so I assume that is what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Does anyone know if there is a wireless adapter to plug into an existing external HD to make it become wireless enabled?

Short answer = No.

However, assuming that your wireless router has a firewire or USB (or ethernet) port in the back that you can use to attach your external hard drive, you could use it wirelessly that way. (this may or may not require network configurations, depending on the software that came with your router)

NOTE: you will DEFINITELY want to do your very first Time Machine backup with your MBP hardwired to the external. If not, it will take soooo much longer wirelessly. After that, the regular backups won't be nearly as bad since they are just updates to the initial backup if there were any changes since then.

OP
E
Reaction score
Useful answer, thanks.

Although I've just checked our wireless router and there's no ethernet port.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Buy a new router? (no usb or firewire either?)
It'd be cheaper than a Time Capsule.

Or just plug your Mac into your external hourly, daily, weekly, whatever... and backup. That's how I do it.(Weekly)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.