OS X Help required

K

kerplunk

At our company we have only 2 Macs which are used for very high end Graphics Development. One of the users upgraded to OSX Tiger this afternoon and now cannot get back to her desktop & applications. The system boots up and shows the logon screen, she clicks on her name and puts in her password and then a black screen is displayed with a unix style command prompt. I've discovered that you can type 'exit' and this returns you to the logon screen, but that is all the system will do.

I know nothing about MAC's and our Technical Support is uncontactable.

Can anyone throw some light on this issue and give me an idea of how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Hmm it seems to be logging right into Single User Mode

Try typing reboot and see if it will boot normally when you hit enter. I will try to think of other solutions

Also try

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return.

The fsck utility will go through five "phases" then return information about the disk's utilization and fragmentation. Once the check is finished, if no issue is found, you should see "** The volume (name of volume) appears to be OK."

If fsck alters, repairs, or fixes anything, it will display the message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command until it no longer appears. It's OK if you need to do several "passes" of fsck, because first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues.

When fsck reports that, "** The volume (name of volume) appears to be OK.", type: reboot
Press Return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If none of that does anything try this out

press Option-Command-Shift-Delete during startup to select an OS X volume, (or alternatively hold the X key during startup to force the booting of OS X). Give that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.