Anyone's Mini getting louder

R

rvr2k3

I've had my mini since it was first shipped out. Recently I've noticed it's fan has gotten louder. I know with the increase in ambient temperature, it should spin more, but it has gotten significantly louder.

Before I could only hear it if i was a few inches from it, now I can hear it from a couple of feet. Did this happen to anyone else?

I just ordered a gig of ram, so I will open her up and dust her out. But my mini is in a clean area.

OP
E

EvoMac

I honestly have heard my fan turn on twice of my mini since Feb and both times were due to excessive things happening ig: cd encoding / photoshop / internet / entourage type of combo. other then that it is quiet as a whistle for mine still.

Defiinitly when you upgrade the ram give it a quick dusting to make sure that nothing is blocking the ventaliation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Yeah...mine's getting louder.

I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm running my 1.25 at 1.58 :)

OP
N

normal1

lol yeah it doesnt - Mine's fine so far I hope nothing like that happens cause I already have a loud enough office with 3 other computers in there. I do a lot of video editing so far, I havent heard it, but its only been a week.

OP
R

rosso

i've had mine a few days and it has started to get louder too. Hey this isnt on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I've had mine since Feb 18th, and it hasn't gotten significantly louder. I can hear the CD spin up if I'm burning one or loading up UT2004, but rarely hear the fan.

Of course I'm a bad one to ask since I switched from a tower with 3 older drives with a bunch of fans on 24/7 that sounded like a Boeng at idle. I don't think the Mini can really get loud enough for me to really notice it.

OP
S

silverpenguin

I don't think I have ever heard my fan. I thought I did once but realised ti was actually the fan on my Sky+ (like Tivo for anyone state side) box which sits on a shelf above it.

After installing Tiger though I have become aware of the hard drive making slight noise every now and again which I hadn't noticed when I was running Panther.

OP
T

Tel

rosso said:
my fan comes on when i spin a disc is this normal?

Spinnig discs causes the computer to produce more heat than usual so it would be normal for the fans to start up to counter this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.