Macbook Battery Charging

Reaction score
I have my first macbook Yay! The instructions don't say how/when to recharge battery for longer battery life. I believe it's the kind that doesn't wear down faster if you charge before it's depleted. Anyone know what the best way to charge for longer battery life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a hunt round in this area for instructions for your model - if that fails try google for your model specific info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
The Apple website has a nice page about this. Click on their Support tab and search from there. It was very helpful to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
If you go to About this Mac>More Info>Power You can see the cycle count and maximum battery charge. Its not exact or 100% universal, but pretty close, you should let the battery deplete to roughly 55% - 70% once or twice a week to complete a cycle. That is if your MB stays on a desk. If you roam a lot, charge when you can.

Apple says the battery should have about 90% charge capacity after 2 years and with 300 cycles. We just replaced a battery in our MBP after 3 years which suffered much abuse with only about 150 cycles and roughly 30% charge capacity (it was always plugged in), still that was almost a three year run and the newer batteries are much better.

There are some variations but my MB is at 150 cycles and just about 95% charge capacity so the numbers work for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.