Sharing iTunes library between users

Reaction score
This is probably a really basic question for most of you but unfortunately I am struggling.

The family has individual user accounts on the Mac but we have all music stored in one library. How do you share this one library between all family members without copying out to each account.

We have set up read and write permissions on all accounts but where do we go from here?

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Tracy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
What version of OSX and iTunes are you running?

OP
S
Reaction score
Its iTunes 9.0.2 (25) and OSX 10.5.8.

Just to let you know that I am a complete beginner and any help will have to be in basic computer language I'm afraid!

Thanks for responding.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for finding this article. You're right about it being hairy! I was lost after the first paragraph of instructions.

I've just bought an external hard drive so will probably give Julien's idea a go. I thought I was missing something simple but it looks as though it is not a straight forward matter. Don't feel so thick now!

Thanks again for your help.
Tracy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.