Making VLC my default player?

Reaction score
New to mac's and I'm trying to figure out how to change my default player for everything to VLC from QT? I'm running OS X Snow Leopard if it matters. Mainly doing this because I've used VLC with windows and I'm having trouble with flip4mac working with some WMP files.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
"Get Info" on the file you want to play with VLC, go down to the "Open With" section and select VLC from the menu. Click "Change All" to have all files of that type open with VLC.

Reaction score
Making VLC my default viewer

I do not see the prompts you suggest.

"Get Info" on the file you want to play with VLC, --where is that? How do I get there?

"go down to the "Open With" section and select VLC from the menu. --I don't see this.

Click "Change All" to have all files of that type open with VLC. --Nor this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I do not see the prompts you suggest.

"Get Info" on the file you want to play with VLC, --where is that? How do I get there?

Find the file you want to play in VLC. Whichever file in Finder you want to play in VLC, doesn't matter which one, any of them will do it. Right-click on that file and select Get Info

"go down to the "Open With" section and select VLC from the menu. --I don't see this.

This is part of the Get Info screen that will pop up.

Click "Change All" to have all files of that type open with VLC. --Nor this.

Also part of the Get Info screen.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The "Open With" section of the Get Info window may not have any programs showing for you to change to. If that's the case click the small triangle next to "Open With". This will expand that area of the box and show a drop down menu to choose a new program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.