App to batch transform an image file to all screen resolutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27'' Imac, 120gb Ipod Video, 16gb Nano w/ camera
Greetings, fellow mac users!

I'm a newcomer to mac and osx (my wife gave me a 27'' imac for xmas) and i'm delighted so far. I'm still trying to memorise (with usage) all the general keyboard shortcuts (i'm a keyboard person) but apart from that everything's a breeze, all is simple and intuitive, and after 17 years with windows i'm feeling so much better!

Anyways, i keep having ideas for apps but, alas, i'm not a programmer, nor do i think i could be one, i'm not that focused! With that in mind, here are my two questions (if anyone could be so kind as to answer me, i would appreciate it):

a) Is there any site/forum where some people can suggest ideas for osx apps and others (programmers) pick them up and create them?

b) This friend of mine is a really good illustrator/designer and i challenged him to create beautiful images, one per week, to use as a desktop wallpaper. He has a 24'' imac, i have a 27'' and there are loads of other screen resolutions out there. I told him he just had to create a huge image, and i will resize it to all the several resolutions needed (check http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s2.svg/1000px-Vector_Video_Standards2.svg.png )
That said, is there any app that can do it automatically? I'm aware that there are different aspect ratios on that list above, and i guess i would have to create manually one image version for each ratio (7, it seems) but then it would only be a case of automatically having an app do a batch resize and save. Does this app exist?

Thank you all, once again!

Reaction score
1. Macrumors has a thread about this, but as far as a dedicated forum I've never seen anything.

2. Automator can resize images. It's in your Applications folder.

OP
wickerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll ask for it on macrumors if i can't cut it with automator.

OP
wickerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Automator seems really neat, but i'm guessing it will allow me to resize one image to one size at a time. Not really a batch job, is it? Oh well, of to macrumor's forum, thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Actions in Photoshop? >_>" Not sure if Gimp has actions...

OP
wickerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actions on photoshop, uhm... i guess i could create those, yeah... good idea, thanks!

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow mac users!

I'm aware that there are different aspect ratios on that list above, and i guess i would have to create manually one image version for each ratio (7, it seems) but then it would only be a case of automatically having an app do a batch resize and save. Does this app exist?

Thank you all, once again!

Yes it exist, it came on your mac. Preview does all kinds of Batch processing. To Batch Resize make a folder with a COPY of the files you want to resize, then drag the folder to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview will th show all the photos in the side bar, Use "Select All" under the "Edit" menu or use "command + A" to select all then under the "Tools" menu select "Adjust Size" and set the size you want. Preview does a lot of things it doesn't get credit for. Check it out and explore with it, you might be amazed at what you can do with it.

OP
wickerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it exist, it came on your mac. Preview does all kinds of Batch processing. To Batch Resize make a folder with a COPY of the files you want to resize, then drag the folder to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview will th show all the photos in the side bar, Use "Select All" under the "Edit" menu or use "command + A" to select all then under the "Tools" menu select "Adjust Size" and set the size you want. Preview does a lot of things it doesn't get credit for. Check it out and explore with it, you might be amazed at what you can do with it.

Maybe i wasn't clear enough before - this option is fantastic to change *several* images to a new size, but what i need is to change *one* image to several new sizes. It's basically the opposite.

Still, thanks for the info, preview is actually a lot more powerful than i thought :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.