iWork 09 Numbers Question

Reaction score
I have columns on my spreadsheet which are drop down boxes which state Yes or No only.

However, I would have preferred if it kept the box blank until I had chosen one. It fills all the boxes with yes and I then need to change to no, but it's confusing to look at.

I would also like it if I could just type Y or N and it would automatically select the right one rather than having to click the box and select. I work faster using my keyboard only it wastes time having to mouse over and click...

Can I do what I am wanting on Numbers???

Thanks in Advance

xxx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Howdy. I don’t have the 09 version of Numbers (only 08, which does not permit this), but in Excel you can add a blank and choose that as the default one. Is there a work around for that? Perhaps use a third entry as a period?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
You could do as shades said and add three choices (in order): a space, Yes, and No. However, this would allow a blank to be entered, which you might not like. And there is no way to change the value by typing the first few letters; according to the Numbers '09 User Guide, "when a cell is formatted to use a checkbox or pop-up menu, you can add or change a cell’s content only by using the control."

In your case, though, have you considered just using a Checkbox? It seems more appropriate for the yes/no situation you're describing, and you toggle its state by pressing the spacebar, which is arguably even faster than typing the first letter of a word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.