need hard drive for 733 G4 Quicksilver

Reaction score
I inherited a G4 quicksilver without a hard drive. I was looking at the connections and the power connector looks different than new hard drives. Do I need to find older ones or are there adapter for new ones?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own a Quicksilver 733 Mhz G4. All of them take standard IDE (ATA) hard drives. The Power connector is the same as any IDE drive in a PC. So is the Data connector. You must be thinking of the newer SATA drives with that small Serial ATA connector and strange power connector.

Only way to put a SATA drive in the QS is with a PCI SATA card that is OSX compatible.

I would just go with an IDE drive.

Older Macs have a 128GB limit but my 733 works with larger drives like the newer Macs. I am told that most Quicksilvers will support any size modern IDE drive. Mine sure does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.