• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with playing movies in FrontRow

Reaction score
Hi,

I have alot of movies in different formats, some will play in Front Row, some won't, some will have video but no sound.

I was just wondering what the best option is out there.

1. Should I try to find a codec package for Front Row that will play everything?

2. Convert all movies to a single format.

Please advise.

Thanks,

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I honestly haven't experimented all that much with FrontRow, but I think it will play anything that Quicktime will (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, if that's true, I'd imagine installing the Perian codec package should make it pretty versatile.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Correct on both counts. Front Row relies on the QuickTime codecs for playback. Installing Perian takes care of several different formats. The most consistent stumbling block seems to be copy protected Windows media files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Frankly, unless you're playing DRM'd iTunes video / Music, I'd look into a different front end for playing video in a home theater appearance.

You can take a look at some like:

Boxee
XBMC
or my favorite Plex

I use Plex with my mini hooked into my HDTV as my dedicated HTPC. It plays pretty much everything I've thrown at it (mkv, AVI, FLV, OGM, mp4, etc.), and handles multiple audio / subtitle tracks in MKVs nicely, and offers offsetting of audio incase a file plays out of sync. Works well with the Apple remote, and it can launch Front Row or Apples DVD player from within its interface (which is convenient if you want to play iTunes DRM video or audio, or want to play DVDs as although Plex does a great job with video files, it's not great at playing DVDs (actually, it's built in DVD playback functionality kinda sucks)) It doesn't do DRM music / video, and I've had a couple of files that didn't play back right, but compared with the amount that wouldn't play back right in Front Row for me it was well worth it (especially since the cost - free - is perfect) and I just didn't want to transcode my video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.