Changing dock icons.

Reaction score
I'm trying to change my dock icons. I downloaded some icons, and I've followed all the directions and I still can't get it to work! I used a converter to make them the right type of file, I copy the icon I want, and when i go to the application that I want to change, I go to the 'Get info' and click the icon and when I go to paste the icon I want, there is nothing there.. There isn't a 'Paste' thing to click, just another 'Copy'. Has anyone else had this problem or know of any solutions? I guess it's not a huge deal, but I saw some people's desktop and their icons looked really cool and so did their themes, and I just can't figure out how to change either. Any help would be nice, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Try copying and pasting your icons using cmd+C/cmd+V

That's how I usually do it, and it works fine for me MOST of the time.. Also, check out CandyBar. It's an app dedicated to changing icons in OS X.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, thank you. The cmd+C thing didn't work. I tried that before as well. It just doesn't give me the option to paste the icons I want. CandyBar did work, kind of lol. It let me change the icon for "Finder" but not the other icons I wanted change. It would only give me the option to change Finder, Trash and Dashboard. I'll keep trying different things though. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Make sure it is the Finder in the menu bar when you click on edit to find the paste button. I havnt seen that problem before.

Thats funny about CandyBar as i have never had a problem with it... If it persists trash it and dl it again as it should work fine. Once you change what you want it will either re-launch the dock or you might have to restart your Mac. If CandyBar still doesnt work downgrade, and make sure you have the latest updates ... I remember now that is 1 issue i had until i realised i needed the update ..!!

You can get icons from the IconFactory and DeviantArt as that way you wont have to change the file extension as they dl as .icon

If you want to change your dock get Docker as its simple to use. All self explanatory

hope this helps in some way

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Make sure it is the Finder in the menu bar when you click on edit to find the paste button. I havnt seen that problem before.

Thats funny about CandyBar as i have never had a problem with it... If it persists trash it and dl it again as it should work fine. Once you change what you want it will either re-launch the dock or you might have to restart your Mac. If CandyBar still doesnt work downgrade, and make sure you have the latest updates ... I remember now that is 1 issue i had until i realised i needed the update ..!!

You can get icons from the IconFactory and DeviantArt as that way you wont have to change the file extension as they dl as .icon

If you want to change your dock get Docker as its simple to use. All self explanatory

hope this helps in some way

Cheers
I had to mess around with CandyBar, but I got the icons changed. Now that I know how to do it, I have to go find the best icons! When I said I used a file converter, I had downloaded the icons from DiviantArt, but since I couldn't get them to work, I looked around for solutions online and one said to convert the .icon to .h-something. But anyway, it seems I figured it out. Thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
For those that find there way here there is another choice - Get info on icon you wish to use. Go to App folder and click on icon u wish to change and get info for that one. Now with both info windows open click on the icon u wish to use and it will have blue outline the copy with Command C or File/Copy . Then click on icon in info window u wish to replace then Command V or File/Paste. Then when u run the app the new icon appears in the dock, u can right click to keep it there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.