Need help with java update for 64-bit intel mac, 10.5.7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel mac, 10.5.7
Help. Although I use a mac all day at work as a designer, I've just started learning how to service my own mac at home and I don't want to mess it up!!!

I want to update my java so I can run real-time online auctions. Currently I have JSE5.0, 1.5.0-22. My prefs indicate I'm running a 32-bit java. Can I update using java 1.6 for 10.5, 64-bit?

My system uses 10.5.7 on an imac. Need to know anything else?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Java is integrated into OS X and the installation is distributed and maintained by Apple. Long story made short, if Software Update says that you're good to go, you need not touch anything. Your real-time auctions should be fine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're really concerned about versions of Java, open up /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app and change the default version there. You may or may not have JavaSE 6 installed but since it is listed here as being updated with a Java update, you do probably have it installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.