A few quirks from a first time poster

Reaction score
Hello folks, first time poster here.

I've had my Macbook Pro 15 inch for quite some time now. I got it April 2009.
The exact specs are as follows:
version 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
peripheral info, but I have partitioned 30 GBs as NTFS for Windows xp via boot camp.
The only time I took it into apple genius was to get a faulty optical drive replaced under warranty.

So here are my questions (problems):

1. About 3-4 months ago, I spilled a bit of poland spring water on my mac. Mostly on the keyboard and the speakers. I believe the lcd flickered and then it shut down by itself. I immediately unplugged the adaptor, took the battery out, wiped off any water that I could wipe off on the outside, put it next to a fan, and waited for 2-3 days. When I turned it back on after, everything was fine, as if nothing had ever happened. I installed windows xp via boot camp a few weeks later and everything went smoothly.
My question is, "Is everything really okay?" I suspect since it's been 3-4 months already, it would have been more than enough time to cause damage. I have not experienced any significant problems since the accident. It has never shut down or failed on me. Is there an app that I can use to run a diagnosis on the macbook?

I ask because...
2. about a month after the spill (to the best of my memory) my macbook would make a slight screeching, static noise from the left corner. It sounds like a rat squeaking. The sound would last for about 10 seconds at most, and then it would go away. I would guess it appears once or twice a week. I haven't been able to isolate the problem, but I have to say, I don't think I've experienced this problem when I had my ac adaptor plugged in. My battery health is at 92% with over 274 cycles. What could be the case?

3. Also, you know the startup sound that the disk makes when you boot it? It still makes that noise when I boot it up or restart it, but I don't hear it anymore when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. It used to emit the same startup clicking sound upon waking up before. Now it doesn't do that. It's silent when it wakes up. Of course, the computer runs fine..On the system preferences, I have a tick next to "Put the hard disk to sleep whenever possible." That was the default setting I believe.

4. When taking screen snapshots on battery power, I noticed that the computer would take extremely long to do such a simple task. With the ac adaptor plugged in however, it wouldn't even take a second. However, I did notice other people having the same problem. I would like to hear an explanation on why this might be happening..

Strangely enough, I believe that my quirks are quite unrelated to the water spill....

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any help/advice from you guys!

*I am planning to take my macbook into apple genius, but I don't expect to achieve much, because I doubt I could recreate the screeching problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. About 3-4 months ago, I spilled a bit of poland spring water on my mac. Mostly on the keyboard and the speakers. I believe the lcd flickered and then it shut down by itself. I immediately unplugged the adaptor, took the battery out, wiped off any water that I could wipe off on the outside, put it next to a fan, and waited for 2-3 days. When I turned it back on after, everything was fine, as if nothing had ever happened. I installed windows xp via boot camp a few weeks later and everything went smoothly.
My question is, "Is everything really okay?" I suspect since it's been 3-4 months already, it would have been more than enough time to cause damage. I have not experienced any significant problems since the accident. It has never shut down or failed on me. Is there an app that I can use to run a diagnosis on the macbook?

It's probably fine. Any corrosion-related issues would likely have cropped up by now. You can use the Apple Hardware Test if you really feel the need to get a clean bill of health:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Do be aware however that there are moisture sensors inside the case. If one or more of them were tripped, your warranty is void.

I ask because...
2. about a month after the spill (to the best of my memory) my macbook would make a slight screeching, static noise from the left corner. It sounds like a rat squeaking. The sound would last for about 10 seconds at most, and then it would go away. I would guess it appears once or twice a week. I haven't been able to isolate the problem, but I have to say, I don't think I've experienced this problem when I had my ac adaptor plugged in. My battery health is at 92% with over 274 cycles. What could be the case?

Hard to say. There's literally millions of circuits on your logic board, and shorting one of them could cause all manner of strange issues under different circumstances.

Sounds like your battery is fine. That's a pretty good health rating at nearly 300 load cycles.

3. Also, you know the startup sound that the disk makes when you boot it? It still makes that noise when I boot it up or restart it, but I don't hear it anymore when the computer wakes up from sleep mode. It used to emit the same startup clicking sound upon waking up before. Now it doesn't do that. It's silent when it wakes up. Of course, the computer runs fine..On the system preferences, I have a tick next to "Put the hard disk to sleep whenever possible." That was the default setting I believe.

There was a recent software update from Apple that was supposed to quiet that noise. Sounds like you got it.

4. When taking screen snapshots on battery power, I noticed that the computer would take extremely long to do such a simple task. With the ac adaptor plugged in however, it wouldn't even take a second. However, I did notice other people having the same problem. I would like to hear an explanation on why this might be happening..

I use Jing for those purposes. It's instant on my machine. The default screen grabber is weak at best, there are many third party utilities that are far superior.

Strangely enough, I believe that my quirks are quite unrelated to the water spill....

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any help/advice from you guys!

*I am planning to take my macbook into apple genius, but I don't expect to achieve much, because I doubt I could recreate the screeching problem.

Just be aware that if they open the machine up and find that it was water-damaged, you may be liable for diagnostic fees.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.