Bought my new MBP but...???

Reaction score
Should I return it and wait until the end of January to see what all this fuss about the i5 possibly being in the new Pro's turns into something legit or not?
Will it make a difference in the 13" versions? Or will it be something they did in the past that they put it into the 15" on up and let the small pro be slightly better than the standard whitebook? I have 14 days to return mine and may have to do it if it appears to be beneficial.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does the machine do what you bought it for in an acceptable manner?

Technology changes constantly. If you're always waiting for the newest and the best, you'll be waiting forever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Should I return it and wait until the end of January to see what all this fuss about the i5 possibly being in the new Pro's turns into something legit or not?
Will it make a difference in the 13" versions? Or will it be something they did in the past that they put it into the 15" on up and let the small pro be slightly better than the standard whitebook? I have 14 days to return mine and may have to do it if it appears to be beneficial.

Don't you think if we knew the answers to these questions that we could probably make a lot of money with the info!:)

In any case...if you really think something new & amazing is going to be announced at the end of January...then go ahead & return your computer...of course you will also have to pay the 10% restocking fee.

Apple Sales and Refund Policy

And what happens at the end of January...and no new computers are announced...or if there is an announcement, nothing is announced that you're interested in???

Now you're out the 10% restocking fee...AND you still need a computer.

A second option is keep your computer, and see if there is an announcement at the end of January. If something good is announced, sell your computer, and purchase the new one you want. If nothing is announced...or nothing you like...then you already have a computer!:)

Your call,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I would say keep it and see what happens. The restocking fee is already going to be over $100. If they do come out with a new macbook pro, you could sell the one you have now for not too much of a loss considering it is still really new and buy the new one. But if the macbook pro is working fine for you, why is there a need to upgrade? Of course everyone wants the latest and greatest technology but the question to be answered is do you really need it?

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, I can get around the restocking fee without any problems. I work at Best Buy and bought it at work. Well not my store but another store about an hour away, b/c my store doesn't sell apple products yet. Well the magical date is exactly the last day of my return policy so if it's announced maybe I will swap it out. But I actually think I'm happy with it and won't be switching. By the time I need a new computer then the technology will be way different then.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, I can get around the restocking fee without any problems. I work at Best Buy and bought it at work.

If you:

- can return the computer without paying any sort of restocking fee
- if you didn't get any sort of special discount that you couldn't get after January 31st
- and you don't "NEED" the computer currently for anything...such as school or work

Then go ahead & return the computer if you strongly feel that Apple will be announcing new products at the end of the month that you will be interested in purchasing.

If nothing is announced that you're interested in...then purchase another computer.

On the plus side...if you return your computer...Best Buy may discount it as a returned item...and another needy customer will purchase it...and be very happy with it!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By the time I need a new computer then the technology will be way different then.

That's been my train of thought as well. USB 3.0 and Mobile Core i7 are on the horizon for the MacBook Pro. Upgraded GPUs are also something I think we'll see before too long, but not on this upcoming revision. All of these are worth waiting for. Minor increments in the processor line are probably not worth the trouble and expense (and forgive me, but I'm not terribly familiar with the Core i5, which is what I believe will end up in the MacBook Pro in this next revision).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.13GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 150GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 Ram
Personally i'd keep the computer you have, they may announce something new but is it that necessary you have it right away.. i mean its probably going to be a processor upgrade, id be surprised if i saw usb 3.0 as i haven't seen many, if any products take the upgrade
Not worth losing out on the 10% restocking fee either, just throwing money away

Your call i guess

Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
1) Newer is not always better
2) Apples history is to announce the latest, then immediately show it as backordered for at least a month or two (and Im an Apple Advocate, not bashing them)
3) Finally you get yours only to find out it's an early production model with bugs.
4) You kick yourself for waiting, having problems, and gaining little if anything.

Me?

I"m about to press the "order button" now *big smile*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
im sure that if apple releases one at the end of january, doubt it, then they might do a "upgrade if purchased in the last 30 days"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.