Boot Camp Wireless Connectivity

Reaction score
First off im not entirely sure if this is the right place for this post so please bear with me.

I just recently installed windows XP professional on my brand new macbook. However I forgot to install the drivers for everything while I was at home so I found a guy with a snow leopard upgrade disk on my hall. After installing the drivers that were on the disk 3-4 times their is still no recognition of my wireless card. Is it possible that the drivers required for the newest macbooks are not on the snow leopard upgrade disks and that I need my newer disk. If this is not the case is their anywhere that I can directly download the driver for just the wireless card using a wired connection?

Thank You

Charles

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The wireless card (airport card) in your new MacBook is supported by the drivers which are on the Snow Leopard DVD. Are you sure you correctly installed the drivers? How did you install them?

The correct method: Insert Snow Leopard DVD while Windows XP is running. Open "My Computer" double click "setup.exe" on the DVD. Driver installation starts.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
The wireless card (airport card) in your new MacBook is supported by the drivers which are on the Snow Leopard DVD. Are you sure you correctly installed the drivers? How did you install them?

The correct method: Insert Snow Leopard DVD while Windows XP is running. Open "My Computer" double click "setup.exe" on the DVD. Driver installation starts.

Regards.

I ran all of that and still no recognition of the wireless card. Are you sure that the new wireless cards are compatible with windows XP? Could the new drivers be on the disk that came with my computer and not the snow leopard disk I borrowed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
All the drivers provided by the SL disk are compatible with Windows XP. I tell you from experience of installing XP via Boot Camp on several machines. The only time I ran into problems was with Win7. But thats a whole different story. Try running the bootcamp.exe setup again.

Does your Airport Card work on Mac OS?

OP
C
Reaction score
All the drivers provided by the SL disk are compatible with Windows XP. I tell you from experience of installing XP via Boot Camp on several machines. The only time I ran into problems was with Win7. But thats a whole different story. Try running the bootcamp.exe setup again.

Does your Airport Card work on Mac OS?

I ran it again 3 more times and still no wireless. Is it possible that the new macbooks have a wireless card thats incompatible with xp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To my knowledge no. I have installed with success on a 08 MBP, 09 Mini, 06 MBP, & 07 MB.

The airport card in yours is the same as in my laptop. (I think)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On another note, although I know the "Upgrade" disc is the same as the "Retail" disk, try a retail one. Does your airport card work under Mac OS? Does the airport card appear under the device list in WinXP?

OP
C
Reaction score
My airport card does work under the mac side. In fact im using it right now haha. My card does not show up under windows xp. I will try the retail one when it gets here in the mail from home.

Thanks

Chuck

Reaction score
I am having the same difficulty I think. I have new iMac running snow leopard and I've used boot camp to install windows xp home edition. I've installed and reinstalled the boot camp drivers many times. I can find no wireless connection icon, no atheros or any other driver. I guess that Windows does not see a wireless card? Airport works on the Mac side and I have a long standing network running off my time machine. I even have a mac mini with boot camp and xp installed which is able to connect to my wireless network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.