Trackpad issue - skin oil? normal wear and tear?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new Mac user. Got a MBP 13" in July and love the machine. It's working fine except the trackpad feels a little different. It feels SLIGHTLY more slippery than a new machine. Sometimes when I am using the three finger scroll to go up on a page, it does not register. Is this a skin oil issue? I am a student and spend insane hours (often sweating) on the device.

I have purchased a protector for the trackpad and palm rest but I am concerned that by putting on the protector now, it will merely cover up the problem. Should I ask Apple to replace my trackpad before it gets worse, THEN cover it up with a protector so this doesn't happen again? Or is there a cleaner that will scrub all of the oil off? I currently use a little dab of water.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I wouldn't worry about it. Trackpad is made of glass, and if you have or have ever seen an iPhone which also has a glass touch surface you'd know that skin oil just happens. I use optical cleaner cloths dampened with optical cleaning solution (expensive Windex) to clean my iPhone, and don't worry about the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I would take a damp cloth and wipe off the trackpad. Then replace the trackpad cover and things should be a little better. Since you are saying you sweat a lot while using the macbook pro, I am going to assume the problems are being caused by skin oil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Wipe off your trackpad with the microfiber material that they provide you with.

It should become nice and clean again. =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.