Can't get Windows option to show at start up???

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope someone can help me on here. I'm sort of ok with macs but have just started having a problem that I'm not sure how to resolve it. Forgive me if I'm explaining things a little simplistic..........

I've got my iMac partitioned with windows to basically play games on the windows side. Normally I restart it holding down the 'alt' key which then normally gives me the option of clicking on my Apple HD or the windows HD. Click on windows & hey-presto it opens & then visa versa to go back.

Just tried to do this, restarted, held down the 'alt' key but it just keeps restarting in the OSX side only, not giving me the windows option?

The only thing I've done differently recently is back up my Apple HD with Superduper, which went smoothly, but surely that's not where the problem lies?!?!?

Any simplistically explained resolution (in case I've got my thick head on), to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

iSammo :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try the Option key on startup?

OP
I
Reaction score
That's what I am holding as it restarts? Although it says 'alt' on my keyboard, but its the same key???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
Can you explain the backup procedure more thoroughly.

Anyway, open System Preferences > Startup Disk > and Select the Windows partition and reboot. (no option/alt necessary)

Let me know if that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
Try using Bootpicker which allows you to choose OS to boot from using a selection window. The only downside is that you cannot use auto-login for it.

Apple - Education - IT Professionals - BootPicker

Actually I was going to recommend rEFIt if we can't fix the problem:
rEFIt - An EFI Boot Menu and Toolkit
It 'replaces' the screen you used to get when you held option on startup. Instead you see a screen like this:
rEFIt - Screenshot
screen2.png

You don't have to hold option on startup since rEFIt 'blesses' (it's called blessing in the EFI environment) it's directory as the boot directory. From there is detects linux, windows, mac, cd, and external hard boot partitions.
::Basically it integrates into your system better than having to boot all the way into OSX to then select which partition to boot to.. and you can do auto login no problem (=

OP
I
Reaction score
WOW!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys or girls or whatevers!

After getting a p*ss*d off last night with it I thought about trying the old 'switch off & on again' to start from scratch. Well, hey presto! It flipping worked first time & has done since.

Seems even the saintly Mac can have the odd moment (though few & far between), but seems all sorted now though.

As I said before, really appreciate everybody's time on this & I might check that rEFIt thingy, sounds good!

Excuse my ignorance regarding rEFIt though. If I d/l this rEFIt program, are you saying then, that don't have to reboot & hold down the 'alt' key, or is it that I still would need to reboot but again, I don't have to hold the 'alt' key down? So what do you do then, just click on the rEFIt icon or something & then I get the options in front of me to click on or have I got the wrong end of the stick with this???

I eagerly await your mighty pearls of wisdom...............

iSammo :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
You still have to reboot with rEFIt. You just don't have to hold down option. You then use the arrow keys to select windows or mac (it won't show the penguin since you don't have linux) and it boots right up.

I don't know if I would recommend installing it unless you need it (or if you like it b/c it's pretty (= ..feel free to). It is not needed if you got the normal mac/windows selection screen working.

isammo said:
Seems even the saintly Mac can have the odd moment (though few & far between), but seems all sorted now though.
Haha yes even Macs get Blue Screens of Death (kernel panics) although they are grey..

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for that, sounds good & yes, it does look pretty. Even though I don't seem to need it now, the magpie within me might get it anyway..........just for the prettiness, LOL!!!

Thanks again!!! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.