Mini Question

H

hustla

Is there a big difference in speed between the 1.2 and 1.4 models, or is it noticable. Im not sure which one I want

OP
C

crazycanadian

This really depends on your uses. If it just e-mailing, web surfing, and music, the 1.25 is the better choice. Just remember to upgrade the ram to 512, thats the sweet spot. If you are using graphics programs or video editing (light work), the 1.42 is probably the better choice.
I've got the 1.25 with 512 and it more than exceeds my needs; emailing, music, and surfing. Its a powerful machine for its size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
we have a 1.25 and I cant echo his sentiments about RAM loudly enough, 256 isnt enough, its one of the things on our to do list

OP
N

normal1

I have a mini 1.25 with 512 and I love it so far. I do some video editing (making a video library for my kid) and it runs fine..

OP
E

EvoMac

I have a iBook 1.2 w. 768 and a mini 1.42 with 1gb both run perfectly. I could definitly see the 1.2 (with the faster hdd then 1.42) and 512mb ram to perform perfectly doing light tasks.

If you dont need/want the extra space and only a slight performance increase (i forgot the exact number as per macworld and their benchmark) save yourself the 100 bucks and get the 1.2 and get a 512 stick of ram. As said OS X loves the ram much more then processor clock speed.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

In looking at general system performance, boosting just cpu speed alone only gets you modest perf gains - 5 - 10%. Boosting graphics memory / processing nets the biggest gain at around 20 - 30%. Increasing memory nets about 15 - 20%.

That said - I did spend the xtra bucks for a 1.4Ghz because thats one thing you can't easily change later like memory. As others have said 512MB is the biggest thing you should do.

Good luck and enjoy your mini

OP
H

hustla

I think im gonna get the 1.25 model

I do, graphics and some video editing.. I will get 512mb upgrade

Hope its a good choice :) thanks for the replys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.