network problem

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. New to the forum. Can anybody help please.
I have recently purchased a imac. At present i have the imac in one room, a Sky broadband router in another room (wireless) and a printer Epson) connected to an Apple Express (Wireless). I can connect to the printer and connect to the sky router. My problem is i cannot connect to them at the same time. Does anybody know of any way to get around this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, without knowing the models of your router and printer I can't say for sure. But what I did with my network was connect my printer directly to my router (ethernet or USB) so as long as my airport is on and connecting with my router, I'm able to print.

Hope that helps. :Smirk:

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The printer is an Epson R1400, the Sky router is a Netgear although it does not give me the model. My problem is being unable to hardwire the printer to the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's ok. The reason I wanted to know your router and printer was so I could look up their specs on their respective websites and see what sort of connections/ports they have.
But if you can't wire the printer to the router, then maybe this might be a solution. It is from Apple's website about the features of the Airport Express.
Apple - AirPort Express - Features - Wireless Printing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try setting it up so the Express does the wireless Network and not the Sky and plug the printer into the express, then it should be go.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi After 2 hours on the phone to Apple technical support they eventually decided that the express and thy Sky router will not communicate with each other,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.