iBook Clamshell

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hope things are well in whatever part of the world you are in.

My question regards the iBook 466mhz "Special Edition" laptop that came out in 2000 (remember the Lime colour?). Anyways, I'm a film student and I have a nice Power Mac desktop to handle all my Film App needs, but I've realized that for my lectures I need a laptop as I hate writing notes.

So I'm wondering how fast/reliable are these laptops? obviously I'm not going to expect blazing speeds but a moderately fast laptop. If anyone could give me speed comparisons with PC's that would probably help me.

Also, I'd appreciate any comments in general about this laptop.

Thanks!

J

JSchultz

If you're just looking to write word files or do basic things, that laptop works fine. You may want to upgrade the ram to make things easier, but that'd be about it. It's hard to benchmark against PC's, but the 466 mhz G3 will hold it's own for some things. People are running OSX on them, that's for sure.

OP
D
Reaction score
JSchultz said:
If you're just looking to write word files or do basic things, that laptop works fine. You may want to upgrade the ram to make things easier, but that'd be about it. It's hard to benchmark against PC's, but the 466 mhz G3 will hold it's own for some things. People are running OSX on them, that's for sure.

What would you suggest for the RAM? 320MB RAM?

J

JSchultz

Drew_Ty said:
What would you suggest for the RAM? 320MB RAM?

I can't even remember how much those iBooks support? Was it 384 or thereabout?

Anyways, adding a stick of 256 should do nicely. You could run appleworks/word, and iTunes or iChat quite nicely. All in Jaguar or Panther, of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.