Formatting but leave OS X??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.
Hi everyone, is there any way to format my Macbook but leave the OS X there? I got my laptop from a friend but he has left alot of stuff on it and I can't do a fresh install as I don't have any discs.

Cheers
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Go into Sys Prefs/Accounts and add new User and enable fast user switching then log into new one and delete his Home Folder. If the friend gave u the laptop then he should have given u the install disc. Now is the time to sort it rather than in a years time when u have a problem and need the info on the MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Formatting will destroy everything on a partition, including OS X.
If you don't have any discs, my suggestion is to either get the discs from your friend, or buy a set

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you don't have any discs, my suggestion is to either get the discs from your friend, or buy a set

Cheers ... McBie

Agreed. You're going to need those discs sooner or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
There is no other solution. You need! those restore CD's.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Colin said would work for now BUT....

Like others have said, get the install DVD's for that machine ASAP. If something goes wrong you will need them like others have said.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go into Sys Prefs/Accounts and add new User and enable fast user switching then log into new one and delete his Home Folder. If the friend gave u the laptop then he should have given u the install disc. Now is the time to sort it rather than in a years time when u have a problem and need the info on the MB

Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.
Just insert those discs that everyone told you to get and re-install, and you'll be golden.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i've ordered some but they wont be here for days. I was wondering in the mean time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What OS did you order and trust you actually did purchase the full retail install DVD and not a silver grey model specific disc from eBay sellers? They are extremely model specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
That will work just fine.

Also the retail version of Snow Leopard doesn't come with the iLife Suite, you need to purchase that separate.

Also when i comes time to reinstall; make sure you delete your old partition using disk utility and then install snow leopard because if the Macbook has leopard(osx 10.5) on there now; when you pop in the snow leapord(10.6) disk it will assume you want to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install and keep all of your old settings and transfer them over to the fresh install.

So long story short:
To install Snow Leopard; put in your snow leopard disk, open disk utility and reformat the HD and then proceed to install snow leopard.

Here is a video showing you how to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLUcng-kog&feature=related

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That will work just fine.

Also the retail version of Snow Leopard doesn't come with the iLife Suite, you need to purchase that separate.

Also when i comes time to reinstall; make sure you delete your old partition using disk utility and then install snow leopard because if the Macbook has leopard(osx 10.5) on there now; when you pop in the snow leapord(10.6) disk it will assume you want to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install and keep all of your old settings and transfer them over to the fresh install.

So long story short:
To install Snow Leopard; put in your snow leopard disk, open disk utility and reformat the HD and then proceed to install snow leopard.

Here is a video showing you how to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard:
YouTube - Guide: How To Do A Clean Fresh Full Install Of Apple Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

Good news. Sorry to be a complete noob but whats this Isuite thing and what does it include??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,

Don't use Finder to remove User accounts, do it in Sys Prefs/Accounts by selecting the account in the left pane and clicking the - at the base of the pane, but you must be logged into another Admin User Account to do that.
When u get your new Snow Leopard put on 2 Admin accounts in case u need the other for future troubleshooting - sort of insurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.