Hard drive for OS 10.3.9

Reaction score
Bought a Seagate FreeAgent Desk external drive for backup but, it turns out, can't use it on my Mac running OS10.3.9. Can't update the software because I only have 512KB memory and (I think) don't have an Intel processor. Specs:

Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512KB
Memory: 512MB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.2f2

Further, I believe I have a cd drive, not dvd, which would also prevent me from installing newer OS.

Questions:
Can I update the OS, given the above? And, failing that, can one recommend an external drive (Seagate preferred) that will work with the older OS?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
10.3 should support that drive. What is the problem? Does it show up in Disk Utility when you connect it?

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I did not even open the box, as it says on it that a requirement for its use is OS 10.4.9 or later. And, yes, I suppose adding memory is an option. thanks for setting me straight regarding the dvd drive!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's most likely a requirement of the backup software that accompanies the drive. No biggie, you probably don't want to use that anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I opened the box and plugged it in, after calling Seagate and being told that, if I was just using it for storage, the OS problem did not matter and that the machine would recognize it. Plugged it in and got this: "You have inserted a disk containing volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ingnore." I did that and nothing happened. Any help out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Well, I opened the box and plugged it in, after calling Seagate and being told that, if I was just using it for storage, the OS problem did not matter and that the machine would recognize it. Plugged it in and got this: "You have inserted a disk containing volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ingnore." I did that and nothing happened. Any help out there?

Well it seems you can use the disk, but surely you need to decide on the end point and work from there.
1/ Upgrade ram - Yes or No
2/ Later OS - Tiger or Leopard - Yes or No

RAM seems those G5s came with 2 x 128 ram units - you have 512 so that is either 2 x 256 or one 512 - Check System Profiler/Memory to see what u have.
Apple/AboutThis Mac/More Info/Memory.
then if you decide on that then you can decide on OS, then decide on back up plan.

OP
D
Reaction score
Can't upgrade OS as processor isn't Intel, a requirement for Tiger or Leopard. Just want it to recognize the disk, so I can use it for storage/backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Mini's (1.83(2GB ram/320GB HDD & 2.26 GHz 2GB ram/160GB HDD))
Can't upgrade OS as processor isn't Intel, a requirement for Tiger or Leopard. Just want it to recognize the disk, so I can use it for storage/backup.

That is not correct.

Leopard (10.5.x) will support a G5
Summary

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:

* A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
* 512 MB memory or more
* A DVD drive for installation
* 9 GB of available disk space or more
* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider, fees may apply.
* Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees apply.

Please know the requirements before posting something like that.

PS That is a direct cut and paste from the apple web site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this FreeAgent the MAC or PC version?

PC version might need to be reformatted before it can be used.

Do you plan on using it with both a PC and a MAC or just on the MAC?

Mark

OP
D
Reaction score
It is a Seagate Mac version. If I was incorrect on the requirements of upgrading my software, I humbly apologize. I've been looking at a lot of information, in order to solve this problem. I'll be honest with you, I can't even find Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard in the Store on their website, only Snow Leopard 10.6. Third party sites do have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, but it's $180. and I can't ask my boss to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a Seagate Mac version. If I was incorrect on the requirements of upgrading my software, I humbly apologize. I've been looking at a lot of information, in order to solve this problem. I'll be honest with you, I can't even find Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard in the Store on their website, only Snow Leopard 10.6. Third party sites do have Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, but it's $180. and I can't ask my boss to do that.

Ok good the MAC version will play nicely with the MAC (obviously).

Requirments mix up is ok, I myself get overly excited at times. In all honesty I should have not posted something like that. I'm sorry also.

Yeah you won't be able to find Leopard at the Apple site or stores, as soon as SL came out, Leopard disappeared.

You might be able to find a 'used' copy on ebay or craigslist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ok good the MAC version will play nicely with the MAC (obviously).

Requirments mix up is ok, I myself get overly excited at times. In all honesty I should have not posted something like that. I'm sorry also.

Yeah you won't be able to find Leopard at the Apple site or stores, as soon as SL came out, Leopard disappeared.

You might be able to find a 'used' copy on ebay or craigslist.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You need a Retail version of 10.4 or 10.5. A Gray machine specific DVD will not work. You can find them on Ebay but be sure it's a full Retail version.

OP
D
Reaction score
You need a Retail version of 10.4 or 10.5. A Gray machine specific DVD will not work. You can find them on Ebay but be sure it's a full Retail version.

OK,but will a "used" copy install? I know I couldn't use someone else's copy of Photoshop, say, because they would require registration numbers that I either wouldn't have, or that the previous owner already used. I hope I am being clear with my questions, and appreciate everybody's help!

OP
D
Reaction score
Used

Can you anticipate whether I would have a problem installing software from a "used" disk? I'm thinking of registration numbers, et al. (I'd delete this duplicate question if I could figure out how!)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. There is no software activation or anything like that. You will be prompted to register, but that does nothing more than to tie that copy of OS X to you. It won't matter that it was previously used.

OP
D
Reaction score
A hearty thank you to all!

I think I'm on my way to resolving this whole mess and thank you, each and everyone!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
check craigslist for a retail copy. i saw a retail copy in the chicago area for $50. i wish i had $50 to spend cause it would have been mine. i have a iMac G5 and i love it but it is running Tiger. while i like Tiger, i want some of the features of leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.