Going to Get new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Well, my whitebook is getting sent down the road today, well just a door down the hall to my sister and I'm going to pickup a new Pro. The big 13" version, just have to get my store credit from my last window machine at best buy (thank God I don't need a windows machine around the house anymore.) and hitting the road to the nearest best buy that carries apple in house. So I will post pics later this afternoon.

Any good hints on how to get everything off my whitebook and on to my Pro? And I'm out of Mac Office keys so can I just transfer mine over or do I need to start from scratch? I may pick up the apple version instead since I love keynote. Just a thought.

jtcannonball :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My first instinct would be to clone the MB's HDD to an external. Then when you get your new MBP, migrate it all over using migration assistant.

Have you done any Googling or searched these forums yet? There are plenty of threads on here and lots of subject matter online. More than one way to do what you're wanting to do.

I can't recommend apple.com's support page enough! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You could do a back up if you use TimeMachine, and then use migration assistant. But chances are you don't use it since you asked. The easiest way to do it is by taking it to an apple store and paying them 100 bucks. That way, you don't have to worry about anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You could do a back up if you use TimeMachine, and then use migration assistant. But chances are you don't use it since you asked. The easiest way to do it is by taking it to an apple store and paying them 100 bucks. That way, you don't have to worry about anything.

Or spend that same $100 on an external Hard Drive (500gb or 1TB, depending on deals available) and then you have a drive to back up to in the future. :D

OP
J
Reaction score
I have a TB drive connected to my airport extreme but I didn't realize that you could get your files off of one mac onto another. Guess I didn't bother to stop and just think about it. I just assumed it was tied into the serial number of your macbook. I will give that a try. It's nothing I can't just drag and drop onto a portable anyway and be done with in a hour at max. I don't have much other than photo's, itunes media and word files to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I had a whitebook and bought a Macbook Pro 13" and with Migration Assistant and a firewire cable two hours later it was like I was on my old Macbook except with a way better screen, trackpad, and backlit keyboard. I highly recommend that method if you'll have possession of the old computer for awhile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.