Permission problems after migration

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm a bit of a mac noob so have been stumbling through this whole process. Basically I just bought a new iMac and when I set it up I used the migration assistant to copy all settings and applications from a time machine backup. Because I had already created the same account name during initial setup (I'm guessing a bad mistake) I had to migrate everything under a new account name. After migration I then deleted the other account. So right now I'm having some crazy permission issues with folders having permissions such as everyone (read) and nobody (read) etc. For example my iTunes folder had the no entry icon so I went to Get Info added my account set it owner and read/write then selected "Apply to enclosed items". But even doing this the files and sub folders still do not have the permissions set properly with many files/folders having the no entry icon on them. I also tried repairing permissions through Disk Utility to no avail.

So really all I want to do is to reset permissions on everything to my new account and forget the old account ever existed. Is this possible?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are a couple great tools for changing permissions. These first two are freebies, BUT they have not been updated since Snow Leopard's release so I cannot vouch for whether or not they will work. They solved a HUGE problem I had with permissions with 10.5, so they have the potential.

The first one is iRepair. Just pick the folder you want to fix (presumably your home folder), pick who the owner and group should be along with their privileges, then hit Apply.

Next is ACLFix. Just drag and drop a folder onto the window and it will strip custom ACL permissions and basically reset them to what should be the defaults.

As I said, these have't been maintained, so I can't be sure they will work correctly in Snow Leopard. One other option though that is current but not a freebie is TinkerTool System. This has an ACL Permissions module that does what iRepair can do, and more. Personally, I highly recommend this app. It has some utilities that aren't found elsewhere (or may be elsewhere, but haven't been maintained), and in some cases it actually does a better job than comparable tools from elsewhere. Its Application Uninstallation Assistant alone beats the pants off all other app uninstallers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.