Mac Pro Video Card Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Hello,

I think my video card just died on me last night while is PS. 7300GT nvidia

was working away, music going and baaam. frozen. Like its never done before. ***. And I have some screen artifacts, blue pixels.

I hold down power,shut off and re-boot to get a white screen with this blue pattern all over. Apple logo flashes and loading circle comes up. Blue screen for a second , then white again with my cursor stuck at the top left corner.........................AND THATS IT.

Tried resetting pram and now i'm stuck. After searching I'm going to get a radeon 4870 sent to me. Should be here tomorrow but my question is,

How do I install the hardware without first removing the drivers and whatnot? I'm running SL but couldn't find any info if the drivers for the 4870 are on there or not.

TIA

Blair

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How do I install the hardware without first removing the drivers and whatnot? I'm running SL but couldn't find any info if the drivers for the 4870 are on there or not.

TIA

Blair

Before worrying...I would say install the 4870 first, and see if it works ok. If it does...then immediately go to the Radeon website & download the latest drivers just to be sure you're completely up to date.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I was thinking I might get kernal panic or something. Just wanted to make sure I could go ahead and install card ,and try to boot up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I was thinking I might get kernal panic or something. Just wanted to make sure I could go ahead and install card ,and try to boot up.

When the Mac OS is installed...it installs drivers for many things that may not be part of your computers current configuration.

The X1900 video card also works in a Mac Pro..and those drivers are already there as well. Another example is the OS installs many many drivers for printers you don't have. This may take up extra hard drive space, but it makes "plug & play" much easier.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so card arrived. WOW. what a nice lookin piece. LOL

Anyways, old car out. new connector to logic board and the new card is in.

Fire it up, so far so good. for 10 seconds... :( KP so i shut down

wait a min then boot up again. Boots stays on for a min. go in and see if the card is in the hardware, yup. then KP again.

I'm wondering which direction to look now. Any help is appreciated.

Blair

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very possible that the video card was not the problem in the first place. Some things to consider:

1. Did you install or remove any hardware before you had the problem you posted about 2 days ago?

2. Did you install any software or software updates before you had the problem you posted about 2 days ago?

3. Have you opened up your Mac Pro...to see if it's dirty inside...and needs a cleaning?

4. Have you tried booting from the "grey" disks that came with your computer (or black OS install disks)...to see if the problem remains?

5. Have you tried booting from the "grey" disks that came with your computer, and run the hardware test?

Some stuff to try,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I got it working.

Pulled the card and made sure it was seated again. Pull my RAM boards out and made sure they were seated.

Turned machine on and so far so good (knock on wood)

Thanks for all the help Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I got it working.

Pulled the card and made sure it was seated again. Pull my RAM boards out and made sure they were seated.

Turned machine on and so far so good (knock on wood)

Thanks for all the help Nick.

Way to go...congrats on getting it working! Always nice when you're able to solve a problem without having to pay big bucks for a professional to figure it out.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.