"Edit Name/Rename" Shortcut?

Reaction score
I just bought a MacBook in November of '09.
I am satisfied with my Macbook, but I am just used to windows, and have a few questions, the first one starting with:

Is there a shortcut to rename files?
I KNOW the "return" key lets you rename a file in "finder" but when I want to change/edit the name in other programs, ex: itunes, pressing "return" then plays the selected song.

I'm impatient and I am just curious to know if there is a faster way to rename files, titles, etc.

I also wonder if there is a faster way to rename multiple files at the same time in finder.
Let's say pictures from a wedding.
In windows, you can select all the files you wish, press the "F2" short cut key, and rename all the files.
ex: "Martha's Wedding"
It would rename the files "Martha's Wedding"; "Martha's Wedding (1)"; "Martha's Wedding (2)"; "Martha's Wedding (3)" etc.

Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
A quickish way is to double click the name you want to rename but NOT a quick double click ... If you understand that lol or in itunes you can Right click the song and will bring and click on Get Info.
That will bring up a box and then click on Info
You can rename the song there and if you have multiple songs down the bottom click next and it will take you to the next song...
Its not a quick fix as such but works well for me :)

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes - double clicking will cause the file to play

To rename - single click to highlight the song, etc., then single click on the artist name, track name, album name, etc. Give it try, I only need to wait about a half second between clicks for it to work on mine. You can wait for a week also. Once it's highlighted, just takes that single click to rename.

The speed you have double clicking set will have some bearing on how long you'll need to wait after highlighting. And you must click on the name, not just on the line that's highlighted.

TM beat me to it, I was busy watching the first bad singer on American Idol.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, but that to me is a hassle, I use this method as well when I have to change many songs, but if there is a faster way than the "slow double-click" please let me know.

Appreciate it.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TM beat me to it, I was busy watching the first bad singer on American Idol.

HAHA and the angry Simon Cowle ..... Bad wouldnt be the word in some instances !!!!

We get 1st episode tonight :(

@ OP apart from that i dont know of a QUICKer way of doing it :(
You could try Mac Pro's recommendation of using A Better Finder Rename.....
But apart from that its the way it is .......

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ya'll get to see the US version or you have your own version?

First one we have tonight is one that's been practicing with the video game for two years and has mastered it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya'll get to see the US version or you have your own version?
Nah its the US version on Foxtel ..... They decided to let our version have a year off hoping to get back the ratings... And i can see why .. Talent get short after 20 million population and 6years of it. Very thin

First one we have tonight is one that's been practicing with the video game for two years and has mastered it.

Ohhhh sounds interesting .???

Be sure to catch it now :)

Reaction score
Function + Enter when the song is highlighted in Itunes will make the name editable.:Smirk:

C

chas_m

Let's say pictures from a wedding.
In windows, you can select all the files you wish, press the "F2" short cut key, and rename all the files.
ex: "Martha's Wedding"
It would rename the files "Martha's Wedding"; "Martha's Wedding (1)"; "Martha's Wedding (2)"; "Martha's Wedding (3)" etc.

Help?

For this particular part of your request, allow me to point you to this video.

If that looks interesting to you, see my signature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.