G5 iMac stuck in sleep

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just created an account here as I'm hoping people who frequent these forum might be able to help me.

About 20 minutes ago I was working in Photoshop when my computer suddenly flipped. The screen went black and and dvd drive began making a continuous noise as though it was struggling to read a disc (even though it's empty). The computer itself seemed to be in sleep mode and the lights on my two external HDs were on, which they wouldn't be if the main computer was off.

After clicking on the mouse and pressing the keys on the keyboard with no results I decided to hold down the power button until everything turned off. The lights on the external HDs were still on though... but anyway, when i turned the comp back on, it acted like it was coming out of hibernation or something and into sleep mode. The dvd drive was no longer making any noise, but all I have is a black screen. The light on the front of the mac is on, but rather than pulsing, it's just solid. The computer sounds like it's stuck in sleep mode.

I've even resorted to pulling the plug out of the wall, putting it back in.. removing all devices that were plugged into the back except for the power.. nothing. It's like the mac doesn't even know it's being turned off and is in some sort of frozen sleep.

Anyone got any solutions? it's a 24 inch Intel based G5, 2GB ram. I can't remember all the specific specs at the mo... it's the older plastic flat screens, not the newer aluminium/glass ones.

Anyway, I'm sorry this is really long, I just wanted to write down everything that happened. If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just created an account here as I'm hoping people who frequent these forum might be able to help me.

About 20 minutes ago I was working in Photoshop when my computer suddenly flipped. The screen went black and and dvd drive began making a continuous noise as though it was struggling to read a disc (even though it's empty). The computer itself seemed to be in sleep mode and the lights on my two external HDs were on, which they wouldn't be if the main computer was off.

After clicking on the mouse and pressing the keys on the keyboard with no results I decided to hold down the power button until everything turned off. The lights on the external HDs were still on though... but anyway, when i turned the comp back on, it acted like it was coming out of hibernation or something and into sleep mode. The dvd drive was no longer making any noise, but all I have is a black screen. The light on the front of the mac is on, but rather than pulsing, it's just solid. The computer sounds like it's stuck in sleep mode.

I've even resorted to pulling the plug out of the wall, putting it back in.. removing all devices that were plugged into the back except for the power.. nothing. It's like the mac doesn't even know it's being turned off and is in some sort of frozen sleep.

Anyone got any solutions? it's a 24 inch Intel based G5, 2GB ram. I can't remember all the specific specs at the mo... it's the older plastic flat screens, not the newer aluminium/glass ones.

Anyway, I'm sorry this is really long, I just wanted to write down everything that happened. If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful!

Do you get the loud CHANG sound when you turn it on? If so, then force the machine OFF then hit the power then hold the SHIFT key down until something happens. It's essentially a safe mode.

Better still, chuck in your original install DVD then hold the "C" key when you boot up. This should boot the install CD. Look out for when you have a menu system at the top of the screen. Select Disk Utility then run FIRST AID on the main HD.

Best of luck

Rimmer

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have fixed the problem it seems.

(There was never a startup tone by the way, it just went to a black screen and sat there with a solid power light. Couldn't boot in safe mode or do anything.)

The problem seemed to lie with a faulty RAM chip. After turning off the machine & removing one of the chips, then powering on again, I got the chime and everything started up normally.
I double-checked by putting back the RAM chip and it went back to being a black screen when turned on - definitely the RAM. So it looks like I'm down to 1gb of ram for the time being, but at least I can use my computer again!

Hope this info helps anyone else who may find they have the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.