Office for Mac problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.9.3
I've accidentally caused a problem with office for mac 2008 by trashing another bit of software which seems to have affected office. I can't find my original disk so face the prospect of having to buy a new one. To check that the problem is just to do with office I downloaded a 30 day trial of it to see if i can install that. if it runs without any problems and can open all my files (which at the moment won't open - I get a "quit unexpectedly" sign) I know that the problem is something to do with office only - right?

However, when I tried to actually install the downloaded office I get a sign saying that it can't install as office 08 is already installed. Does that mean what I have already can be sorted out so that it starts working again? Can anyone tell me whether that's possible and whether it's something I can do myself. The only other option is to call someone to sort it out for me and the cost of that will be the same as the cost of buying the disk.

Also is there an alternative to office (I need powerpoint excel and word) which will also open the files I've already created and is cheaper?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
No, this just means that you need to use the office uninstaller before attempting to install office again (even to install the 30 day trial version).
iWork 09 is a good alternative to Office, and I believe iWork 10 will be coming out soon.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.9.3
Thanks for your help - but I need a prog that will allow me to read my old word documents too- will iWork allow me to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Thanks for your help - but I need a prog that will allow me to read my old word documents too- will iWork allow me to do that?

This is iWork 09;

Click for full size

and Numbers/Excel and Keynote/Powerpoint are both equally able to import/export M$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office is the best of these programs so it is a pity you cannot find the software CD. Guess not much good asking if you have kept the receipt or key code, as a phone call to Microsoft may be os some assistance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't recall if my Office software was registered. If they do that, then perhaps one could give other personal information to them and they could verify ownership of the software in their records.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you install Office it is necessary to enter one of the three key codes from the rear of the jewel case, and on activating Microsoft allocates a product ID number, different to the key code. You will see this number when you start up office.

If you can access Office, jot the number down and contact Microsoft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.