Best office version for mac os x jaguar

Reaction score
I recently downgraded for Mac OS X Tiger to Jaguar, because my old Power Mac G4/400 was too slow. The problem is that i had MS Office 2004 but I recently read in a forum that that version uses too much resources for a 400 mhz computer. Which version would be the best choice for me to use in my Jaguar equipped Power Mac G4?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Of course your G4 is getting a 'Bit long in the tooth', but i have run Tiger and Office 04 on a G3 500 only with the usual amount of M$ unexpected results. Not sure what advantage you are chasing by going back to Jaguar. AppleWorks is/was quite a good App for both Jaguar and Panther.
NB
Jaguar = 10.2
Panther =10.3
Tiger = 10.4

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and the welcoming. I misspelled, I meant to say, downgraded from not for. I would change to another office-based program but the other persons that use that computer would have to get used to it and that takes time for them.
Do you think it isnt a good idea to downgrade to Jaguar? I know that if you disable spotlight and dashboard it will go much faster, but can it ever really achieve the speed you have in a lower version? I'd be glad to stay with Tiger because of all the compatibility issues there are with Jaguar, cant even open my mail in safari, had to use a mozilla alternative.
Well again thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not strike a midpoint then and get a copy of Panther as it will be quite reasonable on your G4/400.

OP
N
Reaction score
Good idea. Have you had any experience with it? Do you know if there are any compatibility issues i should know about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything progresses and i was on Panther 4 - 5 years ago and things that happened then are somewhat hazy. Compatibility will always depend on what else u are using. Keep in mind that as things became more sophisticated so the older OSs struggled a bit more. Internet now will be better on Tiger than Panther generally speaking so there could well be a point where it is better to sacrifice a bit of speed to be able to open/visit more sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'll put a vote in for Panther (Collin and I have discussed this topic ;D).

I operate Panther on my two G3 Macs, and have absolutely no problems with either machine. It's all about processing speed, and Panther runs more smoothly with the lower-end Macs. Panther was not only a development in OS X, it was also designed to run on slower machines, being less demanding. It will do almost anything you need it to do in terms of Office 04.

Regarding Internet, I switched to using Camino (a cousin of Firefox) because it was less demanding of system resources. Camino does everything I require of it, and it does so quickly. I am so taken with it I use it on my G4 eMac as well.

The one thing that will disappoint in terms of Panther is Flash video. But then, a 400 processor won't handle modern video anyway.

OP
N
Reaction score
Great, now i feel confortable about using panther, also camino was the browser i was using in jaguar. Thx for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.