Formidable Stuff this Mac World!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2013 iMac 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB / 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel core i7 / 1TB flash storage
Just switched over and got a new iMac with 27" screen. Never saw such attention to packaging before!! I was hesitant about disturbing it. Incredible paucity of wires and confusion on my workspace now. Been using it for about three days, I have some questions for you Mac freaks.

Before i ask them, i set up two 2TB hard drives within an OWC Elite-AL Pro enclosure in an array, partitioned the total 4TB as follows: 3.5TB for backup and 500GB for additional storage space. That seems to be working fine.
Do any of you start right off and partition the Mac's internal hard drive before you began using the machine or doesn't it matter?

(1) Is it normal for the Mac to "blink" at you every so often? My display will go black for less than a second quite a few times a day, then comes right back. is that usual?

(2) i left to have dinner last night and had my mail program open. When i got back it was frozen and I couldn't shut it off - tried the usual button in the upper left, the Quit command, then all the keyboard methods and finally had to use the Power Switch. I had only Adobe Camera Raw opened up in addition.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Google and search on here for 27" iMac screen flicker issues. I believe it's a known issue with the machines. Apple will fix/replace it for you for sure.

As for the mail issue, maybe it hung up on some large email send or receive? Weird that you had to hard restart it. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again...are all your software updates complete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Mark, welcome to the forum. 1 is not something i have seen - i would be talking to Apple on this one to make sure there is a record in their system. Then see if u can isolate the sequence which causes it.
2 iMacs do freeze but much better to hold power button for 2 - 4 secs to force shut down than use wall switch. Make a note of force quit keystrokes as well - Command Option Escape - that can often get out of troublesome apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Did you try to force quit mail? That usually works. It sounds like you have the screen flicker issue. It is pretty common in the new 27" iMacs. Talk to apple and they will fix/replace it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
I like anyone who uses the word "paucity" in a post. Welcome!

OP
b.d.bop
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2013 iMac 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4X8GB / 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel core i7 / 1TB flash storage
You people are the greatest! I didn't expect such a rapid response time!
I didn't know how to "Force Quit" at the time so I went for the Power button. Next time (which I hope there isn't) I'll try that method.

I'll call Mac support tomorrow about the blackouts/flicker. It's sporadic, but definitely does get your attention during certain tasks. I went to download that program which mrplow suggested, but when I went to install it my Mac told me I didn't need it. Amazing.
Man, I hope I don't need to send the machine back - I spent so much time loading all my stuff onto it and adding new apps, etc. :'(

While I have your attention - how do you properly uninstall a program/application? Is dragging or dumping its icon or folder from the Applications folder adequate?

Thanks again to the Mac pack!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

While I have your attention - how do you properly uninstall a program/application? Is dragging or dumping its icon or folder from the Applications folder adequate?

Thanks again to the Mac pack!

If it has a uninstaller i recommend to use that. If it dosent you can download AppCleaner and this will trash said App and any associated file/folder with it. Just drag items to the AppCleaner Icon and it will do the rest
Or try AppTrap which once downloaded and installed sits in the System Preferences and you just need to drag items to the trash. Works on the same lines as AppCleaner.

Hope that helps

Cheers

OP
b.d.bop
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it has a uninstaller i recommend to use that. If it dosent you can download AppCleaner and this will trash said App and any associated file/folder with it. Just drag items to the AppCleaner Icon and it will do the rest
Or try AppTrap which once downloaded and installed sits in the System Preferences and you just need to drag items to the trash. Works on the same lines as AppCleaner.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Thanks, TattooedMac! I got the AppCleaner you recommended.

/Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Your welcome mate ... Is why we are here !!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.