Is this normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
I got a new 27" core 2 iMac and I feel like it has extremely slow download and save speeds. It took about 30 minutes to install MS Office update. It also took about 30 minutes to download 128MB printer file. These seem real slow to me especially compared to my old pc laptop which is real out of date but never this slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
How's your internet connection today?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I got a new 27" core 2 iMac and I feel like it has extremely slow download and save speeds. It took about 30 minutes to install MS Office update. It also took about 30 minutes to download 128MB printer file. These seem real slow to me especially compared to my old pc laptop which is real out of date but never this slow.

More info is helpful as we cannot see your setup. Is this wireless or ethernet, modem or modem/router, how many units using the connection to ISP

Reaction score
Get used to being unhappy...

I was forced to switch to Mac for work - these machines make elegant chopping blocks (if you have a desktop, just cut the base off with a grinder) and have all the glitches of a PC -- they're just of a different sort. Get used to being unhappy. I got a new 27" for Christmas and it's still sitting in my office. A friend asked why and I told him that if I took it out of the box, I'd put a foot through it. Also got a 1tb time capsule - I'll tell you, the half-a-billion these folks spend on advertising each year sure makes up for a lackluster product.:Not-Amused:Keeps telling me:

"AirPort Utility found a Time Capsule (Simultaneous Dual-Band II) that is reporting problems.

This Time Capsule is already set up and is not reporting any problems."

Huh??

Machine keeps crashing when using Microsoft Word (I know...I know!! It's not a Mac product but unfortunately it's the industry standard in publishing -- got no choice).

Junk. Take it back. Get a PC.

Or get used to wanting to Elvis the thing with a gold club...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got a new 27" for Christmas and it's still sitting in my office. A friend asked why and I told him that if I took it out of the box, I'd put a foot through it.

If you don't want that 27" iMac...I'll take it. I'll send you my shipping address via PM, and I'll send you the cost for shipping via Paypal.

I'm always willing to help out a fellow Mac User!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
these machines make elegant chopping blocks (if you have a desktop, just cut the base off with a grinder) and have all the glitches of a PC -- they're just of a different sort.

That's a unique generalization.

No thanks, I like my Mac too much.

-

Anyways, have you thought about getting your problems diagnosed instead of dogging that very generous gift? I would have been tickled pink to get one of those for Christmas. Yes, everyone's experience is different, and Macs have their share of problems just as Windows machines do. No such thing as the perfect computer. With that said, I have been very happy with mine, and it's well over a year old.

I must ask though, why were you forced into getting a Mac?

Reaction score
I was forced to switch to Mac for work - these machines make elegant chopping blocks (if you have a desktop, just cut the base off with a grinder) and have all the glitches of a PC -- they're just of a different sort. Get used to being unhappy. I got a new 27" for Christmas and it's still sitting in my office. A friend asked why and I told him that if I took it out of the box, I'd put a foot through it. Also got a 1tb time capsule - I'll tell you, the half-a-billion these folks spend on advertising each year sure makes up for a lackluster product.:Not-Amused:Keeps telling me:

"AirPort Utility found a Time Capsule (Simultaneous Dual-Band II) that is reporting problems.

This Time Capsule is already set up and is not reporting any problems."

Huh??

Machine keeps crashing when using Microsoft Word (I know...I know!! It's not a Mac product but unfortunately it's the industry standard in publishing -- got no choice).

Or get used to wanting to Elvis the thing with a gold club...

Your experiences don't represent any experiences i've had with any of my Macs. Just so you know that what you are experiencing is not the norm..

Regards. Rimmer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.