what is a swapfile, listed under an unfound folder "private" on HD?

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to clean out my computer as much as possible, but have a few files of 1gb+ called swapfile...there are 6 of them numbered from 0 to 5...all under a root folder called private- subfolders - var- vm- swapfile6.
Under diskinventoryx, it says that the private file is in my Macintosh HD area; but I cannot find that folder anywhere. It says it is a HFS+ format.
Just wondering if anyone knows what that is and if it can be deleted?
thanks,
M
powerbook G4, max 10.4.11

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Those folders are hidden because the average user is not supposed to interact with them (for your sake). So, don't worry if you can't find them.

Restart your computer. This may help with clearing out unnecessary swapfiles. These are controlled by the OS and should not be manipulated while the OS is running. As a rule of thumb, if something is in a folder you can't get to without hitting the Terminal or view hidden files, you shouldn't be messing with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.