Gps Garmin vs Magellan vs Tom Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20'' IMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM
If there'S already a thread about this' I didn't find it. I'm looking to buy a gps and wonder which is the best choice. I don't think I'll need one of the $500 or $600 models but not necessarily the cheapest either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I prefer the garmin over the others. To me, they are easier to use but this is just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
The Google Maps Navigation feature on the Motorola Droid (Verizon) has saved my rear more than once. True, you have to pay for the unit and a data plan, but since I needed to update my phone anyway, combining the two devices (a GPS and a phone) in one made sense for me. Plus, since Google Maps/Navigation are distributed with (or as part of) Android 2.x, any updates are automatically pushed to the unit.

I've seen some reports of location problems with Google Nav, but with the GPS service turned on, my Droid can place me in different rooms of my house! Seems very accurate to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Get whichever has the best technology out...

I prefer the Tom Tom, as I currently own two. I also own a Garmin, but I do not use it that often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Garmin has the best mapping in the industry and I own one BUT the Navigon app on the iPhone is what I use now...it's great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66GHz Quad-Core 8GB, Radeon 4870 * MacBook Pro 17" 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram * 64GB 3G iPad
I've owned Tom Tom and now have a Garmin. As a commuter, the FREE FM traffic lifetime capability from Garmin was the deciding factor between a Tom Tom live 740 and the Garmin 765T that I ended up buying. The bluetooth speakerphone capability on both also is great with the new laws we have in my corner of the world.

I haven't tried phone app software but feel that a stand alone unit saves my already power starved iPhone 3G. These are my thoughts, good luck!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
+1 for Garmin

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4
I have a cheap Garmin and the TomTom iPhone car kit setup and they both work fine for navigation, I have no problems with either one, but since I have gotten used to the different menus, I kind of prefer the TomTom(but its just the iPhone app so I do not know how it compares to the actual TomTom) but dont think you could go wrong either way

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20'' IMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM
Thanks for the responses. It's a fairly small sampling, but seems fo favor Garmin over Tom Tom by about 2 to 1. No mention at all of Magellan. Interesting.Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
As I said, Garmin has the best mapping in the industry. That's the one I'd buy if my Navigon iPhone app didn't work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have a very cheap garmin so this is what i think of my cheap garmin. i love it!!! the only thing i do not like is that it does not have a qwerty keypad. i do not know if the more expensive models have them or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8
I also have a cheap Garmin, an early Nuvi model, and agree that it would be more friendly with a QWERTY keyboard. I've taken it with me on travel from Hawaii to Florida and north to Minnesota, and it has been the best traveling companion. Another downside, however, is the cost of map upgrades. I can't compare Garmin's cost to others, but my last upgrade made 2 years ago cost $65, and it's a one-use deal. To avoid paying for new maps, I now use Google Maps on my Blackberry to find new restaurants and places of interest then use my Nuvi to navigate me there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy, and let us know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought a mid-range TomTom One for my in-laws last year and it was by far the clunkiest, most poorly designed GPS I've ever laid hands on, backed by horrid "customer service" (if you can call it that).

I have a Magellan Maestro 4200 that I picked up a few years ago on Woot.com for a good price. It has been perfect. Easy to use, picks up and maintains signal with no fuss and it's easy to upgrade the maps (although the software is Windows-only).

I bought my in-laws a Magellan RoadMate (not sure of the model) to replace the POS TomTom that I returned to Amazon and that has been likewise perfect for them. They haven't even needed any technical support, which is a big bonus for me.

I haven't owned any Garmin products, but people seem to love them as well. I would just advise you to steer clear of anything made by TomTom.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Received a Garmin Nuvi 255W for Christmas (gift from my brother in law) and it works great. It included one free map download (large download of 2.3 GB) which was nice. It also includes software for the Mac. A definite plus.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.