::LONG POST WARNING::: Need to Get The Power Mac G5 Serviced. But...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Before I do I have a few questions.

First the problem. My 23 inch Cinema Display flickers and turns purple and pink. When it flickers I get like green, blue, white spirit like designs on the display. When I check the connection on the back of the G5 it goes back to normal. Anyway, I've called Apple 3 times now and they have been very helpful. Good thing I have the 3 year service and support plan.

First they thought it may be the video card (nVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra DDL). So they sent me a new one, swapped them and shipped back the old one. Now it still does it.

So, by the third phone call they said it may be the logic board or the display. They think the logic board because the video card for some reason isn't sitting right and there is a bit of movement when I touch it. Do any of your's move a little tiny bit? Any of you with a PwrMac G5 and a 6800 that is.

Because of this, they would like me to bring it into a certified Mac support agent. Around me, there are 3 locations. 2 of the 3 are decent options.

One is the Mac Store in the mall by my house. The problem is carrying the Display and the Tower through the mall is going to be an issue.

The second is a CompUSA close by as well. I'd rather bring it there because they are just like a walk in and walk out. No lugging through a crowded mall. The problem is... They don't seem too friendly and there customer service skills are horrible. They said they'll have to keep it for 3 to 5 buisness days if parts are needed. Has anyone ever delt with CompUSA computer service? I'm just worried about leaving it with them. I don't trust them for some reason. Its that gut feeling.

Could anyone give me, if any, experiences they've had with their (CompUSA) computer repair service. I'd really appreciate it.

And if any of you have had this problem with the screen flickering and going pink, I'd like to hear that as well.

Thanks again. I'm sorry this is so long. I just need your thoughts and opinions before I drop it off.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would take it to the Apple store in the mall. Check to see if they have a service entrance. If they do, see if you can take in through there.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
I would take it to the Apple store in the mall. Check to see if they have a service entrance. If they do, see if you can take in through there.
The problem with bringing it somewhere is quite difficult for me. I'm handicapped because of a motorcycle accident and I'm confined to a bed at the moment and I work from home. If they keep my computer too long, then I don't make money from work. Its like taking time off of work if I don't have a way to work.

I wonder if they could give me other options?

E

embries

Well the key there is "if they have to order parts" they may have parts in stock, or they might have an upgrade that you could purchase same-day so you don't have to wait. You're not going to know until you take it in. Worst comes to worst, you could take it in have them look at it and if they need to order parts just bring it back when you can afford to be without it for a few days (i.e. taking vacation or whatever). I've seen similar "loose" vid card problems arise because when the motherboard was screwed to the case it was 1/16" too far up or down so the card wouldn't seat properly. If it were unscrewed and put in at just the right location the problem was resolved. Again, however, no way to know till you take it in.

As far as the customer service at CompUSA, I agree that it's not the best, but then again, from their point of view your computer is one of the lowest paying things on their bench. They get more from doing a simple drive upgrade on a PC than diagnosing your mac. It'd be kinda like having some chocolate cake on the counter, a good movie on the TV, a semi-nude woman moving towards the bedroom, and having to take out the trash. Of the things you can do the order is strictly up to you, but I doubt you'd be really happy if someone were making you do the trash first.

M

mr..nemo

No your probelm is common amoung the 23" monitor.
Read this:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17972

I was trying to tell people a while ago that ALOT of people have been complaining about a problem with the 23" monitor... apparently this problem is only involved with the 23" not the 20" or 30".... i found out this information by going to amazon.com and searching for the 20" 23" and 30" monitors and reading the reviews from each.. and i found that this is a common problem with the 23"... after reading that i went to see if i could conferm this on another site, and yes www.apple.com has posts about this on there discussion board for the cinima monitors.

many people have been complaining about this problem, but also many have said theres has been fine, anyway its been enough to put me off, im going for the 20" and id recomend you do alittle more reserch into the matter before considering another 23"..

Hope this helps ya

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mr..nemo said:
No your probelm is common amoung the 23" monitor.
Read this:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17972

I was trying to tell people a while ago that ALOT of people have been complaining about a problem with the 23" monitor... apparently this problem is only involved with the 23" not the 20" or 30".... i found out this information by going to amazon.com and searching for the 20" 23" and 30" monitors and reading the reviews from each.. and i found that this is a common problem with the 23"... after reading that i went to see if i could conferm this on another site, and yes www.apple.com has posts about this on there discussion board for the cinima monitors.

many people have been complaining about this problem, but also many have said theres has been fine, anyway its been enough to put me off, im going for the 20" and id recomend you do alittle more reserch into the matter before considering another 23"..

Hope this helps ya
Thanks for the info.

Their problems seem to be different then mine. I don't have any of the hazing that they talk about or that pink hue on the edges.

My screen goes pink then back to normal after touching the conection in the back of the Mac. It seems like the Vid Card isn't sitting right on the logic board. There really is a bit of play in the vid card.

I may have to get a new logic board since Ive already replaced the vid card.

Apple is now sending me new Display cables. Next will be a new display. After that, a new logic board. After that, a new Mac, no charge.

Thanks for this info though. I will keep it in mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
sounds like a cable to me. I understand how it is being handicapped, best advice i can give is get a family member to help you cary it. what i would do first is load up the mac in some vehicle, go in yourself and ask around the mall if they have your parts, THEN go out and grab the mac.

I cant get to my mac store either and i need this thing running top condition 24/7. Luckily my gf loves where the location of the store is (and works by there) 3 times already we had to pick out parts via phone lol. She'd borrow apples phone at the desk with the sales rep, call me, id explain to either her or the rep , and then shed score me the part.

Do you have a monitor lying around you can try? Id say cables only because the video card is screwed in pretty tight. And as you said checking the connection makes a change. I had a similar problem with a CRT on an old G3, however the problem was the adaptor was just loose.

Good luck to you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MadSkillzMan said:
sounds like a cable to me. I understand how it is being handicapped, best advice i can give is get a family member to help you cary it. what i would do first is load up the mac in some vehicle, go in yourself and ask around the mall if they have your parts, THEN go out and grab the mac.

I cant get to my mac store either and i need this thing running top condition 24/7. Luckily my gf loves where the location of the store is (and works by there) 3 times already we had to pick out parts via phone lol. She'd borrow apples phone at the desk with the sales rep, call me, id explain to either her or the rep , and then shed score me the part.

Do you have a monitor lying around you can try? Id say cables only because the video card is screwed in pretty tight. And as you said checking the connection makes a change. I had a similar problem with a CRT on an old G3, however the problem was the adaptor was just loose.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the advice

I should be getting the cables today. Im hoping that's all I'll need.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just Wanted to Update.

I recieved the cables. But, the cable that come from the back of the 20 inch display does not unattatch from it. So they sent me the adapter which was pointless.

The last person I spoke with ask why the other person would do that and send me what he sent me, he should have known better. So, he sent me a new display. Claimed my original Display DOA which was really cool of him.

So, he sent me a new one and things are working perfectly for now. I hope they stay perfect in regards to this issue.

It ended up being one of the connectors on the DVI cable from the display. It wasn't getting full contact to the video card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.