SL install and restore problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
After several weeks of using SL my Macbook crashed and I had to get a new hard disk installed ( under warranty). The new disk had Leopard installed not SL. I installed SL and then did a restore using the original install disc and my last backup under SL from Time Machine. Now all I'm gettin is a repeated message in multiple languages telling me to restart. Which I do only to get the same message again.

Any advice?

Gggrrrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Maybe I don't know enough about this situation, but why did you use your original install disk? Didn't it have Leopard on it? Since you had already upgraded to SL, I think you should have just restored your Time Machine backup without using the original disk. Now, I think you'll have to do a clean install of Leopard, using your disk, upgrade to SL, then restore the TM backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
start with permissions repair in disk utilities. If this fails to repair the issue, I'd do an erase and restore from your time machine backup.
To do this, boot from your install disc, choose language, click continue then go to utilities in the menu bar.
You can take 1 step or 2 step method.
1 step method: just choose restore from backup.
2 step method: select disk utility, erase macintosh HD formatted as mac is extended (journalled), quit disk utility and in the utility menu select restore from back up.
I would go the 2 step method even though 1 step method is supposed to do the same thing.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
Maybe I don't know enough about this situation, but why did you use your original install disk? Didn't it have Leopard on it? Since you had already upgraded to SL, I think you should have just restored your Time Machine backup without using the original disk. Now, I think you'll have to do a clean install of Leopard, using your disk, upgrade to SL, then restore the TM backup.

I thought I needed to use the Leopard install disc to get to the Utilities menu to be able to select restore from Time Machine. Should I have used the SL disc as the boot disc instead to get to the Utilities Menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can also use your snow leopard disc to get to the utilities menu... either or you will have that option :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you want SL, yes,just boot from the SL disc. During the install it should provide you with an option to restore from a TM backup.

If it doesn't, then you would run the Migration Assistant after you have booted to Snow Leopard.

You would not insert your Leopard disc and try a restore to Snow Leopard. I wouldn't even think that would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would not insert your Leopard disc and try a restore to Snow Leopard. I wouldn't even think that would work.

Thanks bobtomay.... I probably should have added that, and I'm glad that you did :)
Been offline for a few weeks, so Happy New Year to you... I hope you had a good chrissy and new years

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
start with permissions repair in disk utilities. If this fails to repair the issue, I'd do an erase and restore from your time machine backup.
To do this, boot from your install disc, choose language, click continue then go to utilities in the menu bar.
You can take 1 step or 2 step method.
1 step method: just choose restore from backup.
2 step method: select disk utility, erase macintosh HD formatted as mac is extended (journalled), quit disk utility and in the utility menu select restore from back up.
I would go the 2 step method even though 1 step method is supposed to do the same thing.

I am currently doing an erase and install from my original Leopard disc. I'll install SL then I'll see if I can get to the Utilities menu using the SL as a boot disc. And select restoe using TM selecting my last SL backup.

If I can't use the SL disc to restore from TM the I guess I'll have to use the the Leopard disc with my last Leopard backup.

But what of this happens again in the future when all my backups are SL. Should I then try to get a full SL install disc and use that? I don't actually know anyone that has one yet.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THanks guys (ignore my last post).

I shall proceed and report back!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If this Snow Leopard disc came from Apple, you should be able to do a clean install.

I have not bought a new machine in awhile, so if it is one of the "upgrade" discs Apple sent out to those that had bought a machine right before it's release with Leopard pre-installed, am not sure... you may have to install Leopard first. Let us know.

Hey, 6string... good to see ya back around.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK it seems to have worked.
Erased and installed Leopard.
Installed SL from the Update disc.
Rebooted with the SL disc to get to Utilities and restored from my SL backup in Time Machine.

Tidying things up a bit then will get TM to back up again!!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ggggrrrrr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.