New MBP-weird "clanking" noise with movement

Reaction score
I just got a new macbook pro and am loving it so far. However, I've noticed an annoying "clank" noise (just a single, short sound) coming from it quite often when I move the computer. I haven't been able to find the exact motion to create the sound, but it happens maybe every third time I move it. If I were to guess, I'd say say it's coming from the lower right-hand corner. It's definitely a sounds coming from something physically moving/hitting when the whole computer is moved (not the "clicking" sound I've read about when I googled it--although I think I have that, as well, but that's another story).

Any thoughts??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I actually have this problem too. Try opening your screen and placing your hand on the bottom and pressing up with your palm a little bit. Do you get some give and do you hear the clink sound? If so, you probably have the same problem I do. It's not the hard drive parking though. It's actually the case not matching up quite right and banging together on the supports on the inside. Annoying, but I've found no way to fix it yet. It hasn't caused any problems though. I'm on a 15" 2.66 MBP.

Trent out

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you have a disc in the SuperDrive, it could potentially make a noise if you move the machine while it's spinning. Hard to say without experiencing the sound in person.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

miles-I wish I could hear what the "sudden motion sensor" sounds like for comparison, as it'd be less worrisome if I knew it was supposed to happen.

codesamurai-when I press on the bottom I do get a little bit of give but cannot force or reproduce the "clanking" sound by doing so.

cwa-Nope, no disc.

The best way I can describe the sound is to lightly tap the flat surface of a quarter against another hard surface. This doesn't sound exactly right, but it's the closest analogous noise I can come up with.

Thinking about making a trip to the apple store to experiment with their display MBPs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would schedule a Genius Bar appointment and let them diagnose it - see if they can reproduce it on a display model with your help. This way it won't be a wasted trip if you find the issue is unique to your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
I also have the same noise in the same location. Obviously it isn't affecting anything, but it would be good to know what it is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD
I'v been wondering about that TO !?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
i worried about the noise too, but i'm pretty sure it's the sudden motion sensor. it's usually when i move the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Im glad to know I am not the only one in this boat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.